• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 Ranger 347/C6

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Ok fellas Im no expert so Im open to ideas. If anyone has any tips to make this go easier I would greatly appreciate it. I have done the 4.0 sohc conversion and SAS. I love the 4.0 sohc but the 5r55e is not my friend. I will say when the 5R55E works right I love it. Im on my 3rd transmission so its time to move up to a V8. I will post some pics of what I have to work with.

Currently I have a 347 ready to be built.
I just scored the fuel injection off an 89 to 93 mustang. Still need a PCM
I have a brand new C6 from TCI
I have B/G 1356 and NP208

I have one major question at this point. Has anyone crammed a C6 into a 2000 ranger. I had torsion bar suspension not that it matters because i have done the SAS. Also will NP208 or a B/G 1356 fit. Im ok with modifying the floor pan if needed.

The reason im going with this combo is because its what I have. I used to have this setup in an 82 mustang. All of it is new and has less than 2000 miles on it.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Before anyone says anything I know I need to find a V8 exploder for parts. I have ran into an issue finding any available. Since I have the injection off a mustang all I really need is the front pulleys and brackests. I do want to make this look as factory as possible. I want A/C and all the creature comforts I have with the 4.0

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the truck. Its my daily driver so I need the swap to go as smooth as possible. It does not have a body lift. I put over 400 miles a week on it. It currently has 4.88 gears. 10.5 sterling and a Dana 50. The motor just needs to be built. I have an adapter for the C6. The C6 also has a brand new 3500 stall converter. Im not sure this is a good thing. Im sure it would be fun but IDK about having a stall on the trails. Thats what I want to do with this truck. I like the rocks and I like to climb steep shit so the oiling system is a big concern. I will be purchasing a oil pan and a bad ass pump. Any recommendations I will glady accept.

Attachments

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
This is the fuel injection I got. As far as I know the harness is from an 89-93 stang. I think it is a mixture of stang and exploder parts. Some idiot cut the PCM connector off. The distributor connection is also missing. I dont have a PCM yet. My goal with this is too build my own stand alone harness for the 347.

I got 2 questions that I need some help with. The C6 will it fit with a body lift? What PCM would be best for my motor? A 351w PCM or just an A9P?

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
so the truck is being relegated to trail duty only now?? minimal street driving??

otherwise...

4r70w or aod. best to use a 96 maf sefi pickup system from a 351 or 302 with a e4od trans if you want real beef.......finding stang computers that are not beat isnt as easy as it used to be...taking time to locate explorer or late 94 to 96 truck systems is worth the effort for the obd2 tuning capacities...and the explorer front dress will make the ac retention a non issue....

a c6 is a bad idea for a street truck with 488 gears and 37 in tires unless your running a smaller engine...and it wont push od anyway.

400 miles per week in a 347..... 150 bux or so at 3.50-3.75 a gallon. probably what the 4.0 is doing now anyway which would make the swap worth it for the go power.

what about a c6 makes you think it would be a fitment issue?

a big block c6 would look big and scary at the edge of the bell......a sbf c6 is small...

the 4l80 in my ranger makes a c6 look like a scrounge monkey when they are side by side.

your efi setup will further choke the power potential of the 347....but is fine to get rolling...and if trail only and local driving and not a 400 mile a week truck the c6 is fine.

if you want to do 400 a week, you better get 33's and 350 gears.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nice looking truck :icon_thumby:

Dry sump oiling system is something to look at for your type of use, also allows engine and trans to be mounted lower.

You have a 347 so a stroked 302?
If so then 302(5.0l) parts, accessories, from a V8 explorer should just bolt on, i.e. AC, Alt, PS pump.

Sequential fuel injection would require a CPS(cam position sensor), a newer PCM would be lost without one, it would use Batch fire by default, so would work, but I would consider a distributorless system and use a CPS.

The older A9P PCMs from mustangs are batch fire so would work with distributor setup.
And yes with MAF, 347 engine and manual trans.

Batch Fire injection for a V8 means 4 injectors open at the same time then the other 4 the next time, this keeps the intake full of fuel/air mix so one step up from carburetor, which essentially did the same thing.
Sequential injection opens each injector when its intake valve is opening(which is why it needs the CPS), better MPG and a little better performance

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Nice looking truck :icon_thumby:

Dry sump oiling system is something to look at for your type of use, also allows engine and trans to be mounted lower.

You have a 347 so a stroked 302?
If so then 302(5.0l) parts, accessories, from a V8 explorer should just bolt on, i.e. AC, Alt, PS pump.

Sequential fuel injection would require a CPS(cam position sensor), a newer PCM would be lost without one, it would use Batch fire by default, so would work, but I would consider a distributorless system and use a CPS.

The older A9P PCMs from mustangs are batch fire so would work with distributor setup.

And yes with MAF, 347 engine and manual trans.

Batch Fire injection for a V8 means 4 injectors open at the same time then the other 4 the next time, this keeps the intake full of fuel/air mix so one step up from carburetor, which essentially did the same thing.
Sequential injection opens each injector when its intake valve is opening(which is why it needs the CPS), better MPG and a little better performance

what?

a9p is not batch fire....box stock limited to 26-26.75 degrees total timing...but not batch fire.

i been doing these swaps for over 25 years....you have some bad data here ron....rare for you as you are usually text book.

the systems i suggested are superior to the maf sefi system of the a9p by magnitudes for the modern tuner to dial in this creation for maximum performance and economy....

Last edited:

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I will soon be getting another vehicle for my DD. I just want to have everything thats possible ready for the swap. I have the stock gears for the axles 3.73. If I put the C6 in I will make the gear change. I know the C6 is a decent size so I was just asking for anybodys experience with installing one in a ranger. I also was curious about fitting a 1356 case between the frame.

I might have a change in plans. I also have an M50D-R2 it probably needs to be gone through. It came out of a 90's f150 with 300 6 cylinder. Basically I just have all these parts laying around and I want to put something together to turn my ranger into a torque monster. I agree with you on the 4r70w and the E40d. I will look around and see if I can find a donor truck.

Im going to tone the motor down a little. Run stock intake and exhaust manifolds. Might change my mind later. Like you said it would get me rolling.
The 4.0 sohc has really impressed me to be honest. Gas mileage sucks of course 13 miles to a gallon.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Just found a 97 explorer motor complete with harness and PCM. Anything i need to consider before purchasing?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
the stripper work van harnesses with the 351 sefi maf computers are pretty good to work with. tuning will be much easier. all things have thier quirks in one form or another of course.

in your particular situataion the explorer is the way to go, you can use it all down to the ac.

if it is to be a backup ride, just run the c6 and be done. the 488's with the 37,s can be manageable. talk to the cam guys and tell them your setup...with the explorer intake and your heads and stroker, run some nice log headers you will be able to have some serious torque at low rpms for a 302 block.

look for yourself at the size of the 4r70 in the sploder and the c6 as to how it will fit. with the earlier trucks if no body lift was involved, i always had to cut and bfh the seam and parts of the floor even with a c4...less with the c4 though of course, the c6 and aod seem the same to me for fitment issues. the e4od is a fargin monster....but will fit with some massaging.

the 1356 though......thats a beeeotch. and where compromises come into play. cocking and rolling the engine and sometimes a clock-ring will get it in there all cozy. that chassis style is easier for some stuff and harder for others .

the pickier you are, the more it will cost.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oops, sorry about that.

A9P is sequential

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I purchased this gem friday evening. Its a 97 explorer. Its got 260,000 miles on it. She fired right up. Its the salvages yard truck. They are pulling it for me this week.

I think Im correct I just want to make sure. The 97 explorer does not have PATS correct? Also if I decide to put a manual transmission behind it the PCM should allow this. I have read up on auto to manual conversions on mustangs. Most stuck with the auto PCM and had no trouble. If I get a few codes but she still runs and drives Im good. I may go with an OD later.

Attachments

Last edited:

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
By the way guys thanks for all the input and advice. The Ranger Station is the ultimate Ranger rescource for sure. I got a long way to go with this build. I know I will have a ton of questions. Its gonna be fun.

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I figured I would share my build list for my windsor small block. I have been prepping my block while waiting on the Explorer doner motor. It made good power. I based my build off of the Trick Flow and Summit Strokers Wild Build. They were able to achieve 400 HP at 395 ft lbs of torque with fuel injection. I went with a carb. Internally they are both pretty much the same. Same stroke and same cam. My heads have bigger intake runner volume 200 CC intake runners. From what I have read the Explorer fuel injection should handle it with a tune.

Block:
Summit Racing, 5.0L.....................................86 TBird Roller Block
(SES-5-60-04-200)
Crankshaft:
Summit Racing cast, 3.400 stroke...................AMS Racing Nodular
(SES-5-52-05-001)
Connecting Rods:
Summit Racing 4340 H-beam, 5.400 in. long......HBeams Purchased off Ebay
(SES-5-44-05-201)
Pistons:
Trick Flow/Arias 10:1 forged (TFS-51404111)....KB Hyper/Pistons
Piston Rings:
Speed Pro...................................................Speed Pro Plasma File Fit
(SLP-R9771035)
Main Bearings:
Federal-Mogul
(FEM-4125M)..............................................Clevite 77
Connecting Rod Bearings:
Federal-Mogul (FEM-2600CP)..........................Clevite 77
Camshaft Bearings:
Federal-Mogul (FEM-1204M)...........................Clevite 77
Camshaft:
Trick Flow
Track Heat (TFS-51402001)..........................Crane Stage 2
Lifters:
Crane hydraulic roller.....................................Ford Racing Roller Lifters
(CRN-36530-16)
Timing Set:
Cloyes rolleR................................................Edelbrock Double Roller
(CLO-9-3135)
Oil Pump:
Melling high volume........................................Melling 10688
(MEL-M68HV)
Oil Pump Driveshaft:
Ford Motorsport (FMS-M6605B302)...................Ford Racing
Oil Pump Pickup:
Moroso
(MOR-24517)...............................................Factory Ford
Oil Pan:
Moroso 7 quart
(MOR-20509)...............................................Stock Mustang Pan
Cylinder Heads:
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge aluminum
(TFS-51400002)...........................................World Products Windsor Sr
Rocker Arms:
Trick Flow 1.6 ratio roller (TFS-51400510)..........Crane Roller Rockers 1.6

Pushrods:
Trick Flow chromemoly....................................Same
(TFS-21406750)
Harmonic Damper:...........................Fluid Dampener
ATI
(ATI-918910)

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I been working non stop. I pieced the 347 together just to get my parts up off the garage floor. Still have to tear it back down and do a final assembly. This is a garage built stroker. I had too prep and clearence the block. Then I asssembled and checked all my clearences and just made sure everything is happy. I also picked up the 97 explorer donor. I decided to build a make shift run stand. I want to start and run this before I even think about putting the 347 in my ranger. The salvage couldnt sell me the entire exhaust do to our state law. I need the full explorer exhaust. I decided to go ahead and port and polish the old mustang intake as well. I know I have the GT 40 intake on the explorer motor but I want to see what I can do with the stock mustang intake. I cut one end of it open so I can get in there and open her up. Just for the hell of it.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals