• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck mid swap

94onAir

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys/gals,

I have been following this forum for a while and found a ton of useful info so thank you to all that provide help.

This is my first time attempting a swap on anything but luckily, I have friends and family that have done similar swaps and are waaay more mechanically enclined than I am but....here is where we are stuck now.

I have a 94 Ranger that had a 4cyl with a manual which we ripped out and threw in a Mustang 5.0 efi from a 91 convertible with an automatic trans. I followed along step by step from this conversion article: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

which was going great until we got to the pulleys, alternator, and power steering bracket. AS you all probably know, having to go with the short water pump leaves the pulleys unable to line up and I am having a heck of a time finding the correct brackets and pulleys for proper belt alignment. I know there are part numbers listed in the article but everywhere I have checked tell me the part numbers are not correct and they cannot help me. The truck is now sitting in the shop for weeks and its just frustrating because it is so close to getting it running again. I would really really appreciate any help

I also attached some pics of the build so far, can't wait to get this going and then start on the paint and body! (that is my specialty)

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would modify the core support to fit a real radiator and allow normal accessory drive.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have your considered a complete Explorer FEAD? Probably the most compact/short solution available.

94onAir

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks

I have considered both of these options, my buddy seams to think it would be more work to modify the core than find the correct pulleys etc.

I really don't see that it would take all that much and I did already get the explorer radiator btw

WIN: what year Explorer accessories should I be looking for??

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it and I will post up the outcome as soon as I can get time to work on it more

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 97 explorer 5.0 in my 03 ranger and the accessories fit perfect. I used the 5.0 radiator, fan shroud, and stock clutch fan also with no problems. Even the A/C condenser tucked in there like it came from the factory with all the new parts. And I also built one before and had to modify the core support...I wouldn't ever do that again...the explorer accessories are the way to go.

1mean02hd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Manual
Should be able to run the FEAD and water pump from the Mustang. Water pump pulley will be like 1" from the radiator. You'll have to run a pusher fan.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I have a 97 explorer 5.0 in my 03 ranger and the accessories fit perfect. I used the 5.0 radiator, fan shroud, and stock clutch fan also with no problems. Even the A/C condenser tucked in there like it came from the factory with all the new parts. And I also built one before and had to modify the core support...I wouldn't ever do that again...the explorer accessories are the way to go.
i dont know...i understand where core mods can be an issue and a pia if your not equipped to deal with it. that was the case for many years for myself.

but it is the best solution ime.

you open up to air and much larger radiator capacity and the normal fead has adequate room to work. and is only further enhanced by a bird/sn or explorer fead. a stock explorer is pretty tight compared to the normal v8 solutions i prefer with modded core support. i usually net 5-7 inches between waterpump
pulley and radiator with normal fox fead.

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
u could buy f150 fead after 94 as well. Get everything.after 94 they run the short nose water pump. So ud need to get everything to line it all up. And goin furl injected im guessing ud need the smog and air conditioner stuff in urs as well. If u dnt care about ac. U can use the mustang power steering bracket and buy the ac elimater kit and install ur power steering wher ur ac sits.

Scott B.

EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used the FEAD from a 94-95 Mustang, and a conversion radiator from James Duff. I have enough room in front of the engine to use a flex fan and full shroud.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My swap is closest to yours. Check out my solution to modding the core support, everything is listed in the first post. Use the explorer FEAD, run a gen 1 explorer rad, and you can use either the stock V8 explorer mechanical fan or an electric fan. Make sure your engine is placed as close to the firewall as you can get it for the rad clearance you need...

SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals