• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear wheel bearing? Brakes done

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this post shouldn't go here, please move.

So I finally did the brakes in the rear. Everything changed out, cylinders, drums, springs, shoes.
Had a hell of a time putting one side back on, tried for hours, I figured it was we just didn't know what we were doing. Turns out the Wagner shoes we got, were defective in size, they were correct part number.
Anyhow got a pep boys brand on there & everything bolted up easily.

I was pretty liberal with the brake cleaner & probably doused the wheel hub & seal /bearings pretty good.

I have a sort of rubbing sound coming from the rear that didn't have before doing the brakes. Think this might be a bearing(s) gone bad as result of getting sprayed.

I had the truck lifted from the Differential & spun the wheels, but very difficult to replicate the sound.

As I was told, there should be some initial break in rubbing from shoes possibly?

Haven't dealt with drums in ages.

Hopefully everything is correct & buttoned up right. Don't know if you guys can tell from photos or not.

Probably a good idea to just replace these bearings any how I'm thinking.

Having difficulty figuring out correct parts.

The usual shops say something about Ring Gear size 7.5 or 8.8.
Pep boys has one that shows this as a range as in photo. Should this be good?
Also I will need wheel seals as well?

Is this a relatively diy job for novice? Tools needed please? Tub of bearing grease right?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
The adjuster seems to be out of place even hanging out farther than the brake shoe.
Lubrication for the rear axle bearings comes from the differential you have to remove c clips, pull the axles. I've never done it myself but I've been in on it a few times.

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks! Yes one of the wheels adjuster was sitting kind of low, wonder if that could possibly be rubbing....
I will have to open that up & see what I could do to get that higher.
Not axle bearings though, the wheel Bearings.
The adjuster seems to be out of place even hanging out farther than the brake shoe.
Lubrication for the rear axle bearings comes from the differential you have to remove c clips, pull the axles. I've never done it myself but I've been in on it a few times.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The adjuster doesn't look quite right...
the rear axle wheel bearings are at the ends of the differential tube behind or inside they were the axle comes through the backing plate they. are wheel bearings but they're on the axle, unless you're confusing this with the front because the pictures you show look like front wheel bearings

Last edited:

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well I just busted up 2 brand new drums [emoji53]
I can't even tell what the issue is, we'll besides the adjuster is rubbing on the drum [emoji35]

Could it be that this garbage parts kit is somehow defective like the shoes were?

This is so frustrating, wonder if I could continue to use these drums with this big gashes in them.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
the adjuster arms look like they are on backwards to me.(on edit) its the light in the picture that makes the tab look like it is bent out. i suspect the cables are too long in this case..

the yellow spring i dont remember going that way either. but it has to go that way...seems like it snugged it inward more

the arm is to be in contact with the star on the self adjuster acting as a one way diode.

to release you push it back off of the teeth to rotate the star wheel the other way. so the arm not contacting tells you for sure its not right.

i would be tempted to run the drums a few miles but its a bad idea so dont.....spitting in two at 60 mph could be bad.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Denise pretty much nailed it...

A. You have pinion bearings and seals listed not axle shaft bearings or incorrectly refered to as rear wheel bearings. Not that it matters thats not your issue. No it is not a simple jar of greese job either like front wheel bearings. Axle shafts need to come out.

B. Your top springs are on backwards, the white spring should be on top of the green. Doesn't matter much and again not your problem but worth switching.

C. Those adjusters are definitely not right and even if they werent rubbing they would never operate. Could be adjusters from a 10" drum and you have 9" or the cable assembly is too long? I dont know but they are way to low. They should ride right on the star wheel.

Match both the cables and levers to your old parts and figure out which is wrong. The drums are salvageable but given the other part(s) were effed I would raise hell at the parts store and see if they will give you a new set since thise is there screw up.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

i put the coils side of the lower spreader spring (yellow looking to me) on the forward side.

the upper springs and order are the same as i do. cable.... rear spring... front spring.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well I just busted up 2 brand new drums [emoji53]
I can't even tell what the issue is, we'll besides the adjuster is rubbing on the drum [emoji35]

Could it be that this garbage parts kit is somehow defective like the shoes were?

This is so frustrating, wonder if I could continue to use these drums with this big gashes in them.

Get the drums looked at, good chance the adjuster did not cut into the drum very deep.
This is what I think you have same problem there's a picture on the discussion http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1064002-need_diagram_rear_brakes_2000_ford

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Your issue is pretty well covered in the posts above. You did not spray your bearings. They should be fine if they were fine when you started. You just have a few parts installed wrong. As many times as I have done Ford drum brakes, I still take a picture before disassembly so it's easier to reassemble properly. Also, do not swap the adjuster assemblies from side to side. One is normal threads and the other is left-handed threads. They won't work if you put them on the wrong sides.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You all are AWESOME!!!

I've got everything on now right!

I'll be back with details later on.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Great! Before you close up make sure your parking brake works! Also I would not be surprised if the drums even though they are scratched, they may be out of round it seems everything that comes from the aftermarket needs to be double-checked.

Last edited:

Joeshark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Again thank you all for the help, Denise for first spotting and mentioning the adjuster. The adjusters were most definitely my issue.

The springs & extras kit was correct & not the issue as I thought could possibly be.

The issue was that metal bracket I've pointed to in the picture; it should I say the order in which I put it on.
I mistakenly put the bracket in the hole it sits in & only just hung the spring which goes on top of it & then put all the tension of the adjuster cable on it, which would cause the bracket to come out of the hole.
Will I now know that best practice is put the bracket on & correct spring to keep the tension on it, so it won't come out of position.

I. Think the drums should be fine & everything is now in working order.

As for taking pictures of the previous work, that would be helpful except if it was done wholly incorrect.

Look at the before picture, notice anything amiss?
I knew this was messed up when I looked at it, and that's knowing very little about this stuff.

I pretty much believe I was driving around with only front brakes

RB7 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 litre
Transmission
Manual
in the rear the short shoe always goes in the front,
take one side apart at a time and use the other for refrence

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
lower picture; adjuster is backwards so the pawl is not riding on the cog wheel doohickey.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals