• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 explorer

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
tulia,texas between amarillo and lubbock for those
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ive done some wheeling and dealing and after all the ideas of 4.0 and m5od swaps in my bronco ii i ran across a guy who wanted it really bad and this is what he had to offer,first thing was an exceptionally clean 1993 ford f150 extended cab 2wd and a 1991 explorer sport 4x4 with a factory m5od! essentially just the vehicle i was wanting to build my b2 into!....not only is the f150 cleaner than the b2 but so is the explorer,and he wanted to trade me the truck and the explorer straight across for the b2..why? i have no clue other than hes a complete dumbass, he just said he really "liked" it...so yes i traded him no questions asked, i would have been a fool not to....both truck and the explorer have clean clear texas titles the only issue with both vehicles is on the explorer...the outer door handles on both sides wouldnt open the doors,after looking into it a little farther i discover that the rods that go to the latches on both sides had the plastic clip broken,so $12 and 2 new clips later the doors work perfectly but my question is this thing needs 2 new door panels something terribly,the interior is mint minus the door panels,ive looked at lmc and they do not offer door panels for the explorer for some reason. where would be the place to go for a complete set of door panels? thankyou for any thoughts you may have.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Your best bet is either no door panels or start hitting the wrecking yards.

That guy must not have a clue about the Bronco 2 and its limitations, or he just had no clue that his truck and the explorer were worth a lot more than the B2 LOL. Oh well his loss your gain I guess.

I thought that M50D transmission was kind of on the weak side though?

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your options those years were the a4ld and the m5od-r1 and out of the two the m5od is definatly the strongest of the two... i was afraid you were going to say that... i cant imagine junk yard door panels being any better than what i already have but you never know i may get lucky

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
You would be surprised what you can find in junk yards. I've seen some vehicles in there with excellent bodies and frames, just missing engines, transmissions, axles etc. People get rid of stuff because they just don't want it, its not cool enough for them to be seen driving type thing.

I've had experience with the a4ld its pure junk. Had one in my grandfather's 93 ford ranger, had it rebuilt and it lasted about a year, junked the truck after that, didn't care to waste another $2k on a 1 year transmission.

My 84 B2 is a manual, but the older C3's and C5's were a lot stronger can't remember which was in my 84 Ford Ranger but it pulled a 16 foot travel trailer all over the US and never had a problem.

Can't wait to see pics of your new acquisitions LOL.

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'll get some pictures up today...it's that explorer sport being 4x4 and standard shift a rare vehicle being a 1st generation explorer? It's red with black bumpers and grille with black factory fender flares

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You would be surprised what you can find in junk yards. I've seen some vehicles in there with excellent bodies and frames, just missing engines, transmissions, axles etc. People get rid of stuff because they just don't want it, its not cool enough for them to be seen driving type thing.

I've had experience with the a4ld its pure junk. Had one in my grandfather's 93 ford ranger, had it rebuilt and it lasted about a year, junked the truck after that, didn't care to waste another $2k on a 1 year transmission.

My 84 B2 is a manual, but the older C3's and C5's were a lot stronger can't remember which was in my 84 Ford Ranger but it pulled a 16 foot travel trailer all over the US and never had a problem.

Can't wait to see pics of your new acquisitions LOL.
Here ya go wildbill

Attachments

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Both the Explorer and F150 look pretty nice. Looks like you got a great deal out of your B2. I always like the older 2 door explorers better myself they kind of reminded me more of the bronco and bronco 2 than the 4 door models.

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Both the Explorer and F150 look pretty nice. Looks like you got a great deal out of your B2. I always like the older 2 door explorers better myself they kind of reminded me more of the bronco and bronco 2 than the 4 door models.
Thankyou wildbill, I'm kinda like you,I like the looks of the 1st generation sports better than the later model ones, the wheel base isn't over 8 inches longer on the sport than the b2.. I just couldn't believe that its everything that I wanted to build my b2 into...this ended up saving me Alot of time money and headache...

2004xlmiller

March 2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mines also a 91 sport 4x4. But with the auto. All stock.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals