• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to M5OD Trans swap?????s

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
You have a speed density engine setup, either computer will be fine. IIRC the only thing that the auto computer does that the manual one does not is lock or unlock the torque converter, otherwise NOTHING else on your A4LD is controlled electronically. If you had a newer vehicle with one of the newer automatics you might run into issues with this but not in your case.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You have a speed density engine setup, either computer will be fine. IIRC the only thing that the auto computer does that the manual one does not is lock or unlock the torque converter, otherwise NOTHING else on your A4LD is controlled electronically. If you had a newer vehicle with one of the newer automatics you might run into issues with this but not in your case.
That's what I thought.

88Bronco2EB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is old but I still need to know how to wire up the reverse lights and the neutral sense switch(if I need to)

I'm getting ready to order some of the parts needed for the swap. I'm trying the gather all the info I need so when it comes time to do the swap I know everything I need to know:D

Thanks

-Drew

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
from what ive found during searches, it doesnt matter, u need to find the key on power going to the neutral safety plug, then the reverse light wire, my reverse was purple with a white stripe. it doesnt have to be in order, just wire key on power to one wire and reverse wire to the other one

btw i have a 5spd pedal assembly and master cyl/resivior for sale in the classifieds

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
from what ive found during searches, it doesnt matter, u need to find the key on power going to the neutral safety plug, then the reverse light wire, my reverse was purple with a white stripe. it doesnt have to be in order, just wire key on power to one wire and reverse wire to the other one

btw i have a 5spd pedal assembly and master cyl/resivior for sale in the classifieds
DO BE AWARE lol.....if u mix up the nuetral switch on the trans and the reverse light switch, youre truck will still start up and run, but when in neutral youre reverse lights will be illuminated lol

richard booth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now.
Transmission
Manual
I went through this problem and found no help so with much frustration I got it. You need to connect the red w/blue stripe to the grey w/red stripe and the white w/red stripe to the blue w/yellow stripe for the neutral sense and starter to work correctly. Did it wrong and starter ran w key on , all bad, but finally figured it out, hope it helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals