• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 high idle until i tap the gas

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Every time I start it or when i come to a stop it has a high idle until I tap the gas real quick, then it idles down. It is a 84 bronco 2 with a 5 speed. Any ideals on what it could be?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
High idle on a cold engine is normal.

You should have a motorcraft 2150 carburetor, it will have a choke plate at the top of the carb that closes when engine(choke spring) is cold, this can also have a cam that holds the throttle plate(bottom of the carb) open a little more at idle until engine(choke spring) warms up.
If the choke spring is broken or out of adjustment this cam can become loose and moves while driving so when you come to idle again it idles high, a tap on the pedal releases the cam so idle goes to normal.

A loose throttle plate can act the same way, doesn't close all the way, unless tapped.

Because tapping the gas pedal works to reduce the idle it sounds like a mechanical issue.

Google: Motorcraft 2150 2V Carburetor theory

Nice page with pictures and suggestion on how this carb works

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Carbureted engines are designed to idle high when cold. That part is normal. (and yes, hitting the gas to drop the rpm is normal behavior)

Does it idle high when you stop even when the vehicle is warmed up? If it does, then you have a problem... As Ron said, its probably mechanical, and probably related to the choke on your carb. If these symptoms only exist while its cold, then everything is probably working fine.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I understand that it should idle high when cold but it does this all the time even after it is warmed up. the electric choke has been rigged to keep the choke plate wide open and doesnt move. I'm thinking it may be a loose throttle plate.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
With the choke plate "rigged" open, you still have the fast idle cam resting againt the idle screw, thus fast idle. It's why you shjouldn't "rig" things unless you understand exactly what you are doing :icon_surprised:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Mine did the samething, I just got use to tapping the gas pedal and before I knew it, it became a habit I didn't really notice I was doing.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
mine did this even when my engine was warmed up along time ago, my mechanic disconnected something and now it idles high on start till i tap the gas and it never idles high again until it cools down on the next start up.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I understand that it should idle high when cold but it does this all the time even after it is warmed up. the electric choke has been rigged to keep the choke plate wide open and doesnt move. I'm thinking it may be a loose throttle plate.
Double check how that choke plate is being held open, if its held open improperly it can cause the fast idle cam to be stuck causing it to be stuck in high idle. If that choke isn't working properly, its best to just disconnect it completely rather than try to hold the choke plate open. Mine was rigged like that when I first got it, I just disconnected the choke completely and have a piece of wire holding just the plate in the open position. I got through the winter even in sub zero temps without a choke so it must not be to important LOL.

Renny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine also does this and on mine I think its the throttle positioner sliding back slowly. Mine is electrically operated and I'm not sure what generates the signal. I haven't tried disconnecting and instead have just gotten used to blipping the throttle like everyone else.

bigmelton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My choke is electric and on the inside is a metal coil. When it would heat up the coil would unwind and start opening the choke plate. It was unplugged when i got the b2 but i wired it up and it would work but i still had the same idle problems. So I just unhooked it and then rotated it so it would hold the choke plate open all the time. I really dont need a choke cause it never has a problem starting in cold weather. Maybe I need to look into the fast idle cam?

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yes its possible the choke plate is opening but you are never able to clear the fast idle cam to lower the idle.

70roadrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
plymouth
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think they all do that! mine did the same thing. I just got used to it. clean the linkages on the carb, then spray it generously with silicone spray lubricant

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals