• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

d35 inner wheel bearing

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm having a real bear of a time getting the inner wheel bearing/oil seal (on inside of rotor assembly) to come off...anybody have any advice, or pics, for how to get this out...?

jkent

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
When I replaced mine I used a gear puller, but mine were shot. I wouldn't recommend doing so on a good bearing :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have had some luck tapping them with a hammer and drift or beating them with a rubber mallet. They are cheap enough that I'd just break it and buy a new one.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Would it be ok to just rub a bit of grease around there and put it back together the way it is...? Or is stupid to take it all apart and then put the old bearings back in...? I just feel like I can get to em later if I need to (wasn't hard to get the hub/rotor assembly off), and I wasn't having any problems with them before, so id like to reuse anything I can.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've re-used bearings many times. Clean them up with a solvent, check for wear like grooves or pitting and then pack them with grease. I hand pack my bearings but you can buy cheap bearing packers. Essentially, packing a bearing is forcing grease into all the nooks and crannies.
Good luck,

Richard

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have reused my bearings many many times as well, if they are adjusted and greased properly they won't ever really wear out. I don't even pack them that well, I roll them through some grease to lightly coat the rollers and then just put huge gobs of grease on the bearings and the races. It will get hot, melt, and flow into the nooks and crannies before the bearings start to die.

My concern about putting it back together like you have it would be making sure the inner bearing and seal are seated correctly. It can be tricky enough doing it the way it was designed to be done without having the rotor land back in your lap.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed that most of the time one bearing is toast and the other is ok (not great just ok). Bearing packer makes installation alot quicker and easier. You don't need a gold plated one either, harbor freight $10 one will work.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, thanks for the advice guys. Now if I can find someone to relocate the spring perches/shock mounts on the 8.8 I'll be done with this gear/locker install!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals