• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Ford Ranger FX4 VW 2.0L TDI Build

JstWantoRide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My father and I have decided on a project for us to build together.
We really like the efficiency of diesel engines and love the newer smooth and quiet diesels.
We own a 2012 F350 6.7L crew cab long bed DRW, a 2011 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI and a 2002 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0L 4x4 automatic.
We want a small truck or SUV that is diesel, the 3.0L diesel Jeep was considered among some others but decided against.

The goal of this build will be high mpg with the same or more power than the Ranger currently has with the 4.0L gas engine.

We searched through different makes and models;
Chevy S-10 and Blazer
Dodge Dakota and Durango
Ford Ranger and Explorer
trying to find a good body with little rust.

We recently purchased a 2002 Ford Ranger FX4 with about 280k miles for $2000. The body is about a 7, some small dents and scratches and a little rust. The interior is about an 8.5, better than our Ranger with 160k miles. The frame, brakes, front and rear end are about a 7, it will need bushings and shocks but we will not work on that until after the conversion is done.

We searched through many diesel engines;
VT275
Cummins 4bt
Cummins QSB3.3
Kubota V2203
Mercedes Turbo Diesel engines
VW TDI 1.9L and 2.0L

We decided on the VW 2.0L TDI (engine id CJAA) for a few reasons;
Very smooth and quiet
Factory torque rating is very close to factory 4.0l Ford Ranger torque rating
Lighter than any other engine considered and lighter than 4.0l engine
Many upgrades available to increase hp and tq
Will pass emissions to 2011 (and maybe better) if we ever wanted to get a newer vehicle
These engines are readily available used for a reasonable price
There are many mechanics that know how to work on these engines
It is an On-Highway use engine

We researched using an automatic transmission but found it will be much easier to use a manual transmission, since neither of us has an issue driving a standard we decided to do this first as to not make this project to intimidating off the bat. We want to get it done in a reasonable amount of time and we can always make changes like this down the road.

Transmissions considered;
M50D-R1 (currently in the donor vehicle)
AX-15
NV-3550 Close Ratio
NV-3550 Wide Ratio
NSG-370

We decided on the NV-3550 Wide ratio for the following reasons;
Max torque is conservatively 300ft-lbs
Weighs 110lbs, about the same as the M50D-R1
They are readily available used, rebuilt, for a reasonable price
The gear ratios will work well with the TDI engine RPM power range.

Before starting the conversion we will take record some info/data from the stock Ford Ranger for before and after comparison. If you have any suggestions please let us know, so far;
Weight
Sound (in and out of cab)
The following will be tested loaded and unloaded, towing and not towing;
MPG
Acceleration at various speeds
Engine performance on hills

JstWantoRide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The donor truck

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like a very interesting project.

I think in 2001 the Rangers had the speed sensor moved to the transfer case output shaft, not the rear axle any more.
So you may need to figure out something for the ABS and of course speedometer, Dakota Digital makes universal units for speedo and tach modifications.

Can't say I am familiar with the VW 2.0L TDI engine, I know some were probably mounted transversely, like the Ford 3.0l in a Taurus, you could use a Taurus 3.0l in a Ranger but the head gaskets had to be changed because coolant flow was setup for In at the front and Out at the back.

Last edited:

JstWantoRide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like a very interesting project.

I think in 2001 the Rangers had the speed sensor moved to the transfer case output shaft, not the rear axle any more.
So you may need to figure out something for the ABS and of course speedometer, Dakota Digital makes universal units for speedo and tach modifications.
If the speed sensor is in the transfer case output shaft wouldn't it still work with this set up? I plan to use the stock transfer case if possible.

But those Dakota Digital gauge's are nice! I may want to switch to a set of them anyway!

Can't say I am familiar with the VW 2.0L TDI engine, I know some were probably mounted transversely, like the Ford 3.0l in a Taurus, you could use a Taurus 3.0l in a Ranger but the head gaskets had to be changed because coolant flow was setup for In at the front and Out at the back.
Very interesting, not sure what other head gaskets are out there for the 2.0 tdi. Hopefully we can make it work! :icon_welder:

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a stock '03 FX4 Level II, auto. Subscribed, this will be very very interesting to see.

Question: You are bringing over the DPF and the HPFP (and associated fuel system) from the donor vehicle as well?

D4N63R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well this is awesome!

I'm a huge VW fan, and absolutely love TDI swaps into other vehicles.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Being a ford and Vw enthusiast, you are bringing the best of both worlds together. I have subbed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the speed sensor is in the transfer case output shaft wouldn't it still work with this set up? I plan to use the stock transfer case if possible.

But those Dakota Digital gauge's are nice! I may want to switch to a set of them anyway!

Very interesting, not sure what other head gaskets are out there for the 2.0 tdi. Hopefully we can make it work! :icon_welder:
Yes, Dakota Digital gauges are very nice but I was referencing the interface modules to use stock gauges and ABS with non-stock engines and trans, like these:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=287/mode=cat/cat287.htm

Yes, I couldn't find any pics of a 2.0l TDI that isn't transverse mounted, all transaxle units.
It will be an interesting cooling system setup.

EDIT:
Looks like the Passat used longitudinal engine mounting

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, I couldn't find any pics of a 2.0l TDI that isn't transverse mounted, all transaxle units.
It will be an interesting cooling system setup.

EDIT:
Looks like the Passat used longitudinal engine mounting
Would the mounting orientation of the engine have an effect on the cooling system if the engine is an inline engine? I thought the reason the 3.0 had different head gaskets for transverse mounting is because it was a V configuration. One bank of cylinders was buried against the firewall where no airflow would touch it. It seems like an inline 4 wouldn't need these extra considerations since there's just the one bank of cylinders.

Cool swap OP! Going to watch and see how things go.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure on all engines but the 4 cyl transverse mounted engines I have worked on all had coolant flowing in from lower rad at the "front" of the motor and coolant flowing out to upper rad at the "rear" of the engine.

If mounted longitudinally that would make for one loooong upper rad hose, the whole length of the engine, lol
But what actually happens is that the "rear" coolant outlet gets in the way because of the firewall

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
theres a few vw swaps in this forum.

but this is the direct head to head comparison i was hoping someone would document.

the wr 3550 is easily adapted on your own and theres some nice jeep adapters.

acme, http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php has a cost effective setup to get you on a toyota trans

this setup seems to make the most sense to me..http://www.cotybuilt.com/

those jeep parts are wide and far on availability and its an easy fit up.

tdi swap is pretty easy to do with all of the support if your willing to pop some coin.. not as cheap or easy as my 6.5 was to swap, but pretty close. it sure as hell will get better economy.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
conversely, i have called a few diesel conversion outfits.

i ran the scenario of bringing a ranger to some, 2010 ranger with 20 k on it for a v8 diesel conversion and was quoted 50k and 2 months.

same truck with toy diesel, 35 k....2 months.

same truck with vw conversion, 25k and two months.

then i asked if i brought them a 6.5 mechanical powertrain complete, and an 88 ranger ..... not range rover....ranger....it got laughs at all places and 12k was the minimum. and this was with it already being modified with a small block and straight axle.

granted...if i was to do an install to first rate results, it would take 150-200 hours and 4-5 grand in parts....so those prices are not as bad as they seem.

but a base install was done at 44 hours and me test driving it....and less then 400 dollars out of pocket for the beta version which was run for well over 200k miles.

in the light of that the coty kit seems to be money well spent.

if you look up green geekers build, he has given thought to helping adapt the rbv transmissions in the fashion he implemented.

to say his build is impressive is an ugly understatement. i suggest to spend some time in there if you have not already.

i am hung between a 4bd1 isuzu, a om benz, or the vw if i were to use a little engine...the sd55 is also a contender worth considering as well.

thing is i would want to pull it off under 3 grand in total....

i know i can do it....doing the work to make it happen at that price is not so
interesting to me.

JstWantoRide

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the likes, hopefully it will go well and I will document it to your liking.

I've got a stock '03 FX4 Level II, auto. Subscribed, this will be very very interesting to see.

Question: You are bringing over the DPF and the HPFP (and associated fuel system) from the donor vehicle as well?
I do plan to bring them both over, I want the DPF on there because I will want to do this swap again with a 2011 Ranger if it works well.

theres a few vw swaps in this forum.

but this is the direct head to head comparison i was hoping someone would document.

the wr 3550 is easily adapted on your own and theres some nice jeep adapters.

acme, http://www.acmeadapters.com/store_engine.php has a cost effective setup to get you on a toyota trans

this setup seems to make the most sense to me..http://www.cotybuilt.com/

those jeep parts are wide and far on availability and its an easy fit up.

tdi swap is pretty easy to do with all of the support if your willing to pop some coin.. not as cheap or easy as my 6.5 was to swap, but pretty close. it sure as hell will get better economy.
The Coty Built is a great site and really great guys. I have huge email chains with those guys about this build and I may end up buying there "step 2" to connect the trans.

conversely, i have called a few diesel conversion outfits.

i ran the scenario of bringing a ranger to some, 2010 ranger with 20 k on it for a v8 diesel conversion and was quoted 50k and 2 months.

same truck with toy diesel, 35 k....2 months.

same truck with vw conversion, 25k and two months.

then i asked if i brought them a 6.5 mechanical powertrain complete, and an 88 ranger ..... not range rover....ranger....it got laughs at all places and 12k was the minimum. and this was with it already being modified with a small block and straight axle.

granted...if i was to do an install to first rate results, it would take 150-200 hours and 4-5 grand in parts....so those prices are not as bad as they seem.

but a base install was done at 44 hours and me test driving it....and less then 400 dollars out of pocket for the beta version which was run for well over 200k miles.

in the light of that the coty kit seems to be money well spent.

if you look up green geekers build, he has given thought to helping adapt the rbv transmissions in the fashion he implemented.

to say his build is impressive is an ugly understatement. i suggest to spend some time in there if you have not already.

i am hung between a 4bd1 isuzu, a om benz, or the vw if i were to use a little engine...the sd55 is also a contender worth considering as well.

thing is i would want to pull it off under 3 grand in total....

i know i can do it....doing the work to make it happen at that price is not so
interesting to me.
Lots of money there to have the swap done. Maybe I will write up enough stuff to have an instructions guide to help people who would not normal feel they could do it themselves do there own swaps.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
well, i literally have less then 50 hours actual labor and 400 bux into putting a 6.5 diesel in my personal ranger. but that was after measuring and hmmm haw-ing for years thinking about it on and off.

granted it was a less then ideal setup, i just layed the 6.5 trans controller and associated wiring in place and run it like that since fall of 2008....i just reworked that and had 30 hours into the planning and execution of such a simple system and still have open ends on other options unrelated to this powertrain..

so i figure a competent shop like the big guys i called would have two guys on it for 70-100 hours to do a nice job, though they would not use the junk i will. dont get me wrong, i would prefer to use the nice plumbing resources they would have to use as a professional operation...which when i priced out my ideal dream system setups for plumbing and cooling/electrical...all new stuff would easily exceed 2500.

so 12 grand is a fair amount if you are an enterprise that performs such custom services. but way out of my league....thats why i drive old rangers with cheap diesels...i dont have money to burn.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals