• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I want a diesel !!!!!!

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
16 years ago my truck was totaled for 12 hail dings in the hood. I doubt the passage of time has increased its odds in a deer encounter.

"real trucks don't have facias" The North American Ranger has a steel bumpers as the Ranger always have had.

TC can be turned off.

Pretty much everything still has a cylinder in the door.
I guess totalled wasnt the right term, i supposed "smashed into oblivion" would be more suiting.

They still sit low enough and have enough plasttic in vital areas to be suspectiable to damage.

Trac control can be shut off, stability control cannot. So your wheels can spin as long as the truck stays straight

I was pretty sure 2016 and newer 150s didnt have a key cylinder in the door, i could be mistaken.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess totalled wasnt the right term, i supposed "smashed into oblivion" would be more suiting.
Crumple zones are a good thing, trucks still hit deer and it is still usually the grille, headlights and fenders that take the beating the same as they always have.

They still sit low enough and have enough plasttic in vital areas to be suspectiable to damage.
They have a plastic airdam below the steel bumper like every Ranger before them. They sit as high or higher than any previous Ranger.

I was pretty sure 2016 and newer 150s didnt have a key cylinder in the door, i could be mistaken.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have been basing what ive been saying based on F150s, i have not seen a new ranger yet for comparision.

That being said, check this out....mainly the tow ratings. I couldnt find the EB, but it seems the lofty numbers ford advertises as tow ratings are actually GCWR, not true tow cap, according to this your yuppie standard 5.0L king ranch crew cab 150 can muster a max trailer weight of 7000lbs. Thats funny considering thats right around what my 96 F150 with a 145hp 300inline and a E4OD was rated for.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150/specs/2017/F-150-Pickup/387936#specifications

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Cause your old one was heavier.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Cause your old one was heavier.
Doubt it.IIRC that article said the curb weight of the king ranch 4dr was 4850.

According to google a 96 with a 302 (mine had a 300, but that difference is null) weighs 4305.

The new one is 4894, just double checked. With a GVWR of 7050 lbs.

My 96 had a GVWR of 6400 IIRC.

That means my 96 had an effective capacity of 2095
The new one has an effective capacity of 2160.

Absolutly meaningless difference.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been basing what ive been saying based on F150s, i have not seen a new ranger yet for comparision.

That being said, check this out....mainly the tow ratings. I couldnt find the EB, but it seems the lofty numbers ford advertises as tow ratings are actually GCWR, not true tow cap, according to this your yuppie standard 5.0L king ranch crew cab 150 can muster a max trailer weight of 7000lbs. Thats funny considering thats right around what my 96 F150 with a 145hp 300inline and a E4OD was rated for.

https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/f-150/specs/2017/F-150-Pickup/387936#specifications
Here's a chart from Ford about max trailer weights: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

It shows over 10,000lbs of trailer weight for a coyote truck and up to 12,200lbs of trailer weight in a properly equipped ecoboost F150.

Your 96 F-150's tow rating is probably made up garbage. Until around 2014, truck makers could pretty much claim whatever towing capacity they wanted. There was no standard for where or how the tests were performed. Now, all manufacturers are using the SAE J2807 testing method, and it should be much easier to compare. It's also a significantly tougher test.

It would be very interesting to see your 96 go through the same tests that modern trucks complete to see how it would compare. I'm betting that the factory rating would be much higher than what the truck would be rated at with modern standards.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Your 96 F-150's tow rating is probably made up garbage. Until around 2014, truck makers could pretty much claim whatever towing capacity they wanted. There was no standard for where or how the tests were performed. Now, all manufacturers are using the SAE J2807 testing method, and it should be much easier to compare. It's also a significantly tougher test.

It would be very interesting to see your 96 go through the same tests that modern trucks complete to see how it would compare. I'm betting that the factory rating would be much higher than what the truck would be rated at with modern standards.
Unfourtantly there is no way to prove that. All we can do is go by the numbers presented.

As a matter of fact, its been my experence that the older trucks were actually rated pretty low. Automakers would err on the side of caution to avoid lawsuits. I once hooked a 10,000 lb skid steer/trailer combo behind that truck and it didnt break a sweat.

Its possible that now with the new testing, the new trucks ratings are more accurate leaving little room for going over stated capacity.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Unfourtantly there is no way to prove that. All we can do is go by the numbers presented.

As a matter of fact, its been my experence that the older trucks were actually rated pretty low. Automakers would err on the side of caution to avoid lawsuits. I once hooked a 10,000 lb skid steer/trailer combo behind that truck and it didnt break a sweat.

Its possible that now with the new testing, the new trucks ratings are more accurate leaving little room for going over stated capacity.
The older ones also had weaker narrower frames, lighter springs, weaker transmissions, lighter axles and a lot less power. Lots of sandbagging room vs trucks that have improved pretty much everything several times over. :rolleyes:

You really need to ride in a 3.5 Ecoboost truck towing something substantial with an open mind. I was blown away by the leaps and bounds of progress that has been made. I thought my '02 was a pretty good tow pig, it doesn't have a thing on my brother's '14 Tremor... which is a stupid little standard cab shortbox. :icon_confused:

It just ain't right, but that is the way it is. :dntknw:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Maybe i should, i dont know, but i know theres enough about the rest of the truck id hate. Lol. I for some reason highly doubt though they can snort like a 460 though. Id gladly hook 12k to my 97 against an ecoboost for a drag race up a steep hill.

Might get my ass handed to me, i dont know. But eh.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe i should, i dont know, but i know theres enough about the rest of the truck id hate. Lol. I for some reason highly doubt though they can snort like a 460 though. Id gladly hook 12k to my 97 against an ecoboost for a drag race up a steep hill.

Might get my ass handed to me, i dont know. But eh.
Dad threatened to pit his '96 F-250 5-speed 460 against my brother's Tremor. My brother's reply was bring it but no gooseneck.

It would be a pretty good battle :popcorn:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I think up a hill, loaded up heavy, it would be damn close. 55-80 though, no contest.

The 460 makes like 370lbft right off idle, its no slouch lol, youre dad has creeper in that ZF though, i got a damn E4OD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think up a hill, loaded up heavy, it would be damn close. 55-80 though, no contest.

The 460 makes like 370lbft right off idle, its no slouch lol, youre dad has creeper in that ZF though, i got a damn E4OD
I rode with towing his tractor, that dang ecoboost builds torque pretty fast too. It would tie my 2v 5.4 in a knot and they are really torquy.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I rode with towing his tractor, that dang ecoboost builds torque pretty fast too. It would tie my 2v 5.4 in a knot and they are really torquy.
Still be an interesting contest.

I still say the one id most like to see would be the 460 pitted against chryslers 8.0L (488CID IIRC) V10.

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you

The Ecoboost vs 460 is apples and oranges IMO. The 460 is a work horse and that's how it was designed, not so with the Eco. The Eco is a car engine designed to work in a truck, which is fine for towing when needed. The FE was designed to tow ALL THE TIME. If you put them to the task doing the same job as a tow vehicle, the Eco will die long before the FE will.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The 460 is not an FE. It is a Lima block. FE was the older design big block.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals