• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camshaft advanced with timing chain off

Rob13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
**Please someone help me can’t find information on how to do this anywhere ** was changing the timing chain set and the camshaft moved forward with chain off. Now the timing marks do not line up. How do I line the marks up without messing up anything? It’s a 2001 3.0

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the dot on the cam gear is at the bottom, 6 oclock. the dot on the crank gear is at the top, 12 oclock so they are facing each other.

turn either cam or crank with whatever tools are handy, usually turn the big crank pulley by hand, it will stay where you put it. the cam can get finicky and wants to jump around, hold with slip-joint pliers or whatever.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is important to note, and I think more to the point of the OP's question, that the 3.0 Vulcan is a non-interference engine. You can spin the cam and the crank a full rotation each with the timing chain off and not damage anything.

As pjtoledo said, it really is just a matter of putting the gears on and making the dots point at each other.

Rob13

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
So I can move the cam and crank without a problem. Thanks. All I see every where is when doing the timing don’t let them move. Nowhere could I find anything saying what to do when they move.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So, ideally you won't let them move at all with the belt or chain off so that you don't lose your correct timing. On an interference engine you still have some allowable movement. There is usually a tool that goes over the end of the crank and lines up with a mark or pin on the engine, and when placed correctly the pistons will all be below TDC, so if the cam jumps a little, like what happened to you, which is normal, you won't bend valves.

But on all pushrod engines that I familiar with, you have a condition called non-interference, which is where the engine is built so that with the valves fully open and the piston at TDC they still won't touch and so you don't have to worry about it.

All engines should be non-interference, but I am too smart to be a design engineer, so they aren't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals