• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 2.9 Ranger Auto Transmission Swap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl 100,xxx miles
Transmission
Manual
Im looking into taking my automatic tranny out and putting in a manual.
It would be a A4LD to FM145 swap wouldnt it? I have already read the sticky for the swap but i was wondering if anyone had step by step pics of the process? Would they be in a Haynes repair book?

the truck is a 1988 2.9L V6 4x4 Ford Ranger supercab.

If anyone has any info on what to do please send me an PM.
Thanks

madmax401

Reaction score
I did that to my 88 and scrapped the a4ld. i had three different trans's in there . 145 146 and a m50d. i cant remember which ones were the same length as the a4ld,i think it was the 145. if your trans is shorter or longer in length all youll have to do is move your trans crossmember by grinding off the 6 rivets (3 on each side) and replace with bolts. if you have to move the crossmember than your going to need different driveshafts. theres also going to be a spacer behind the flywheel that your going to have to remove on the cranshaft. the spacer i belive is only used on the automatics and cant be used on the manual swap. the clutch pedal was easy. i just took the clip off the end of the donor vehicle and fitted it to my existing assembly and worked fine. the tech library has some detailed info on this swap,check it out . http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/A4LDto5Speed.html good luck

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
the m5od is the same length as the a4ld

RangerSphinx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
here's one that kinda relates to this. can a trans from a 88 2.9 ranger bolt onto a 4.0 from a 92 explorer? without a bell housing swap the trans on the 92 was an auto. i hate auto.. lol thanks

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
here's one that kinda relates to this. can a trans from a 88 2.9 ranger bolt onto a 4.0 from a 92 explorer? without a bell housing swap the trans on the 92 was an auto. i hate auto.. lol thanks
Yes, it will bolt up, which trans is it? The mitsu transmissions are weaker and may not hold up well behind the 4.0.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals