• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch release shaft issue. How can I remove it?

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
well got one stud off. so far so good.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Waitaminit.... The studs in question are the ones holding the bellhousing on?

Nothing fancy to get them out. Take two nuts and tighten them together on the stud. Then use the upper one to unbolt it.
Thanks, MAKG. I didn't even thank about doing it like that. I guess that's way they keep you around,huh.lol

well got one stud off. so far so good.
Good deal.:icon_thumby: Hope everything is going ok. Have fun!

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Well I got it apart thanks to you guys. Once I got the shaft out I saw how extensively it had been damaged. It was so torn up that it almost looked like it was threaded. I guess since I am a little bit uneasy about how some of the specifics of the change in transmissions are applied that I will give this one more shot with the TK5. I still might want to make the change later.

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I might get a picture of it and post it so you guys can see what I am talking about. I just need to get my phone some minutes so I can pic msg it to my Email and copy it.

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Are there any other trannys that I could look into to get the front bearing retainer? I just don't want to have to wait for the part to get there, so I am considering pulling it at a junk yard and like you said it can be hard to find this tranny in the junk yards?

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
You know, I think I will try boring out the old shaft and heating up the plate so that when I drop another shaft into it, the plate will shrink onto the new one which will match the original shaft diameter. This should work like a dream. Well I will be around if anyone wants to know how that works when I finish.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
Are there any other trannys that I could look into to get the front bearing retainer? I just don't want to have to wait for the part to get there, so I am considering pulling it at a junk yard and like you said it can be hard to find this tranny in the junk yards?
I think one from a TK4 might work. Any '83 - '87 Ranger or Bll TK5 or TK4 should work. The 2wd Bll actually has a 4x4 tranny, it uses a dummy t-case.

You know, I think I will try boring out the old shaft and heating up the plate so that when I drop another shaft into it, the plate will shrink onto the new one which will match the original shaft diameter. This should work like a dream. Well I will be around if anyone wants to know how that works when I finish.
I think I would try smoothing out the shaft first, before boring it out. There would be nothing to lose, as it is bad anyway.

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Well the damage to the shaft is too extensive. It would end up chattering. I think that I would need to take aproxamatly 1/8 inch off the original diameter in order for the shaft to be smooth again. I just got a job rebuilding big block engines at a shop which has all the tools and equipment to do like I previously mentioned, but if worse comes to worse, I can go get another shaft eventually. I have been buisy lately though. I pulled an engine from an Ice Cream truck, and got a motorhome engine ready to pull in just 6 hours today. I am anxious to see what I can learn there. But anyhow I will find a way to get it fixed regardless. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the Ranger as it comes. Thanks and I will keep you informed of the progress.

grnrngr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
OK..gotta make a couple notes here based on my experience trying to replace the trans on my 86 B2. My original input shaft broke and 4x4 trannies are somewhat scarce around here (Portland OR). My first attempt was to buy one from a 2wd Ranger but found out the output shaft is a lot longer, and can't mount the t-case. So.. found an early TK5 with the external slave system and discovered they are NOT the same even tho they look identical from the outside. The input shaft is shorter on the early models (83-85?) and the fittings for the external slave hydraulic system are different, so you'd need to change that. Side note...the fittings for the internal slaves in the late Tk5s are different and in a different location than the internal slaves on the M50d, so make sure you get the right one of you swap it out. If you can get by with just changing the retainer plate, that would probably be easiest, and I believe they are interchangable between early and late models, but not between tk5 and M50d. If not, I have a recently rebuilt early (external slave style) tk5 that I can't use and would love to get some of my money back out of it and only have 2 useless trannies in my garage. I've heard of people putting the clutch disc on backwards although I have a hard time understanding why, they're usually labelled and it doesn't fit right when it's backwards, but I've never heard of the throw out bearing being installed backwards. That must have taken a fair amount of work by someone who has no idea of how a clutch works. I'd make him buy the replacement parts...

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
actualy it is not any more difficult to have the throw out bearing on backwards than installing it properly. My throw out bearing sits in the center of a metal plate which has a hole in the middle that is somewhat oblonged. The bearing slips in the middle and slides ovet to one side locking it in place as it moves into position on the shaft. It has one end on a ball that pivots in a stationary position whal the slave pin pushes the other end of the plate out against the pressure plate. With the bearing backward the part of the bearing that is smaller then pushes through the center of the pressure plate rather than pushing in the fingers on the pressure plate which caused my bearing to break into about 7 different pieces, leaving one of those peices locked up on the shaft. Hence the shaft needing to be replaced.

Jokertand

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
Oh and buying the part is not the issue. I just don't want to wait for the part to be found an shipped.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals