• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD shifting issues

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Just recently I have been having an issue with an A4LD in a beater 88 BII with a 2.9 that me and a buddy are running in a tough truck competition. The transmission will not shift into reverse if its just sitting there, if you get on a hill and let it roll backwards with the selector in reverse it will drop in eventually and after that its fine, It doesnt slip or anything. It shifts into drive and there are no issues with that either, it goes forward just fine. is this an adjustment problem with a cable or something or a problem with the valvebody, or is it something else internal? How would I go about diagnosing this problem? Very little money (less than $20) will be spent on fixing this and if it does end up costing more than that then we will have to live without reverse.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u plan on beatin on the truck in a tough truck comp, id seriously suggest findin ur favorite junkyard and work soemthing otu with them to let u get everyhting todo the 5spd swap for free/cheap, cause in a real beating like ur gonna put out the a4ld will not even make it halfway through

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
its already been through... twice. it goes awesome forward, no issues.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
yup i agree.. iam the driver of this monster an its taken one hell of a beating.. been screaming in 2/1 4 low... no problems last nite in my yard it was working good then reverse all of a sudden just disappeared i think it will last for what we need it for. we have thought about the 5 spd swap but would be more efficient with the auto... dont have to worry about clutch on the rocks an blowin it apart in the pond like a fella did today..

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no, u just have to worry about giving ur already failing out some gas when its already overheating and it sitting and pukin out on u when u need it most, since reverse has already failed, i can garuntee u that the rest of the gears will not be that far behind

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
no, u just have to worry about giving ur already failing out some gas when its already overheating and it sitting and pukin out on u when u need it most, since reverse has already failed, i can garuntee u that the rest of the gears will not be that far behind

it doesnt leak a drop of fluid, it doesnt overheat or slip, the fluid is not burnt, it shifts through all the forward gears great. I was just wondering if there is some kind of adjustment to let the thing go into reverse because it just sits there like its in neutral when you put it in reverse unless you let it roll backwards for about 20 feet, then it goes in just like you were moving the selector from neutral into reverse. It doesnt drop into reverse hard and it doesn't slip once its in there. I'm basically guessing what you said because I can't understand for the life of me what ^^this quote up above^^ means.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
odds are the reverse band is probably EXTREMELY worn out, if u wanna save the trans atleast, drop then pan and see what u got, do a fluid and filter changed and add a beefy ass external trans cooler......when bands wear out the material will be usually free floating in the fluid...

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
how could it be a band issue? once the transmission goes into reverse it does not slip, it just doesn't like to go in.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Do you have engine braking in MAN 1 ???

TwoWhels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Most likely have a bad reverse severo O-Ring.
Just need to drop the oil pan, take off filter, and 4 bolts ... you can leave the valebody on.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
no idea about engine braking in man 1, have to check that out. is there a way to test and see if the o ring is bad without dropping the pan?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals