• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1993 4x4 Ball Joints

spirograph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, having an idiot moment. Passenger side front wheel has been clunking, so I'm in doing the ball joints and the tie rods on both sides, as I don't think the PO ever did it. I thought I was all good, until I realized I'd been watching the instruction videos for a 2WD, and now I have no idea how to get the rotor/spindle/hub assembly off. What's the best way to proceed? If it's to take the hub apart and remove the rotor before taking the spindle off, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance - I know this one's probably been asked (or is exceedingly obvious), but I'm struggling :beer:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take pictures with your cell phone or camera as you disassemble so when you go back together you get all the washers installed in the right order. If you have automatic hubs there is a stupid little key you have to pull out with a magnet that prevents the nut from turning.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.shtml

Manual hubs are pretty straightforward, wipe the grease off and go.

Hardest part for me was getting the spindle out of knuckle. Mine did not want to move. Drove them out from the back with a dull chisel... it was a fight.

Also make sure you get the passenger side driveshaft back in the same place in the stub shaft coming out of the differential. You might mark it to be safe.

Also check the spindle bearings and seals while you have it apart. It won't get any easier to change them than when you have it all apart :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

spirograph

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys - I guess I was being kinda a pansy, once I popped the C clip off, everything else came out real easy. Next question though (there's always a next question, isn't there? :) )

Got the spindle off, and found that this seal had torn straight through - the other side was a rigid ring that looked to attach in the middle. Am I looking at a spindle seal here?

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals