• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

slip yoke froze

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
disassembled the front end again, realized that the slipyoke on the front doesnt move at all, i had to hammer it off, sprayed it down with pb blaster and regreased it, but i still had to hammer it back together.

any suggestions on a way to free it up?

i have the c clip eliminator spring so i need it to move.

Marty'70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If pb doesn't loosen it up then gonna have to cut it off and replace. Had to replace the one in my 97 once. Took a while to find the replacement. If I re!ember it came from down south somewhere. No national parts stores could get it. Local mom and pop store found one somehow it

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never done it with a a driveshaft specifically, but the general principle in a case like this is that you need to remove all the old grease (with solvents and rags/brushes), then remove all rust and crud (with scrapers/wire brushes/abrasives) on the inside and outside of the joint. Then you can apply good fresh lubrication and reassemble.

On the other hand, if something's bent so that it physically jams, then it needs replacement.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i can get it on and off but i have to use a hammer, and at that point if it gets pushed in the spring wont push it back out.

ive cleaned the crap out of it, the only thing that kind of works is gear oil, but that washes away real quick. im not sure what the issue is. ill just grab another one from the junkyard, there 15$ and ill get a spare shaft.

ive read about people using the dana 50 slipyoke, that supposedly uses a bigger u-joint, but has the same spline count, ill look into this more.

ive read it is a 1310 u joint, with full circle clips.

anyone have any additional info on this? i havent read anything in the tech library.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
It may never move smoothly again (rust makes for a very rough surface).

I would suggest that if you do get a new (used) one, replace the protective boot on it too so that it won't crack and moisture get inside it again (also pack it with as much grease as you can). Finally, make sure it's ends are clamped down good so moisture can't enter from around the shaft.

The D50 has the same spline size inside the yoke, but the shaft going into the diff has a larger spline.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, about the grease thing. i noticed the u joint end is open. any one ever cap it with say a washer, then thread in a bung to apply grease?

seems to me that whenever the slipjoint moves it just pushes the extra grease out onto the u joint.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you closed up that end with a cap and filled it with grease, you'ld create a hydraulic piston. It would prevent the shaft from sliding closed. If you hit a bump hard enough, it would burst that cap right off the end, or possibly split the outer splined shaft.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Actually the inner (u-joint) end of the yoke is capped from the factory. Apparently the cap must've fallen out (or was pushed out by the shaft)

Yes, you can weld a metal disc or washer or something in there to seal it closed. Any excess grease between the cap and the end of the shaft will simply be squeezed past the splines and into the boot.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually the inner (u-joint) end of the yoke is capped from the factory. Apparently the cap must've fallen out (or was pushed out by the shaft)

Yes, you can weld a metal disc or washer or something in there to seal it closed. Any excess grease between the cap and the end of the shaft will simply be squeezed past the splines and into the boot.
cool, currently it just pushes all the grease out onto the u-joint and then it gets flung everywhere, and the boot is dry as a bone, on a side not i used the dremel to clean up the splines on the shaft, it slides in no problem now.

also, previously we had talked about where i added lift brackets to my pickup, and the passenger side shaft wouldnt reach the hub. i put the brackets back on, and checked it with a plumb bob, each side is pushed out about a 1/4" further, as the holes in the bracket arent exact, but after cleaning the splines it now can pushed the shaft out far enough to be engaged in the hub =]

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals