• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is There a Safe Cleaner to Use in the Rear Diff and/or A4LD Auto Trans?

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, folks.

Just picked up a ’92 Ranger Custom (4.0, A4LD auto trans, 8.8” rear differential) and am going through the process of changing all the fluids. When I change the fluid in the rear diff and transmission, are there any cleaners that are safe to use, or am I limited to just wiping out the gunk with a clean rag after draining the fluids? If I remember right, I used a bit of brake cleaner to wash out the rear diff on the ’86 F150 that I had 20 years ago. Just wondering if this would be safe to use in the diff on my Ranger and if there are any safe cleaners at all for an A4LD auto trans. Thanks!

_RE

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You can use brake cleaner on any metal parts. Just make sure you get the heretical non-flammable chlorine free stuff for use on anything you plan to weld on.

The same goes for your transmission. If you just want to clean out the pan you can use brake cleaner and a rag to wipe it down.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can use brake cleaner on any metal parts. Just make sure you get the heretical non-flammable chlorine free stuff for use on anything you plan to weld on.

The same goes for your transmission. If you just want to clean out the pan you can use brake cleaner and a rag to wipe it down.
Hey, thanks man. Yeah, I always get the non-chlorinated stuff anyway. No particular reason, they just always seem to have it at the parts store.

Gotcha about cleaning the trans pan only.

Thanks again.

RE

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Follow-up question: Do you guys usually bother with buying a replacement gasket for the pumpkin when draining the rear diff completely, or just use RTV? I feel like when I had my ’86 F150 a few decades ago, I used a gasket, but it leaked and ended up using black RTV instead. If RTV is the better way to go, does it change the torque settings that should be used?

Many thanks!

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Follow-up question: Do you guys usually bother with buying a replacement gasket for the pumpkin when draining the rear diff completely, or just use RTV? I feel like when I had my ’86 F150 a few decades ago, I used a gasket, but it leaked and ended up using black RTV instead. If RTV is the better way to go, does it change the torque settings that should be used?

Many thanks!
I used black RTV on mine without issue. The torque specs are the same regardless of gasket methods, because torque is for the bolts themselves.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I used black RTV on mine without issue. The torque specs are the same regardless of gasket methods, because torque is for the bolts themselves.
Thanks, Spott. :icon_thumby:

I guess that my question about the torque was actually kind of a silly one to ask. New vehicle jitters, I guess. :icon_twisted: I’m starting to really like the truck and want to do things the right way every time. Been getting some really great advice here on the site.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals