• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fast And Effective Fix!

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...Had the dreaded rear end binding in my 03 xlt 4x4. Had no idea what it was...but it had been getting worse over the past few months. Slow right and left turns from a stop were rewarded with heavy binding/ vibration that I thought was coming from the front....but with the help of a buddy made me realize it was indeed in the rear differential. In a straight line accelerating during the initial take off a slight binding could also be heard.
...Hit the internet and realized it was the clutch discs in the differential acting up. Picked up 3 bottles of Amsoil 80w90 gear lube, 2 small bottles of the friction modifier from the ford dealership and a rear diff gasket from a parts store and headed up to a buds house. The oil that came out was black and nasty. Dumped both bottles of the friction modifier in first followed by about 2.25 quarts of the Amsoil. Drove 10 minutes to an empty parking lot do some slow sharp figure 8's to help speed the " healing process " up. Took the first turn and the binding was gone. That was yesterday. Put maybe 100 miles on it and it turns nice and smooth.:beer:

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Seems like anything with a limited slip clutch system can get fixed like that. At least from what I’ve seen unless the clutch plates are shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like anything with a limited slip clutch system can get fixed like that. At least from what I’ve seen unless the clutch plates are shot.

I'm just glad it worked. A rear end rebuild is not in the budget...especially with Christmas just around the corner. I just had both lower control arms replaced about a month ago.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
2bottles of friction modifier is a lot for that little rear end,I'd drain it and use only 1 friction modifier when refilling.It won't damage anything but it's so slippery you might end up with less limited and more slip.I'd also use 75w140 synthetic with the Ford modifier and Ford racing/motorsport/performance additive with conventional fluid.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There was a huge discussion on here about whether or not friction modifier is even necessary - a lot of the old school guys don't use it for wheeling rigs. I sure don't, I like my limited slip to slip as little as possible... in fact if it's warm out I get the tire chirp around tight corners on pavement, my l/s is pretty tight and works extremely well offroad.

Street driven trucks are a different story though and you discovered that.

I mentioned my thoughts on friction modifier usage and got ripped pretty hard by a couple of 4x4 shop guys, don't care, I'll stand by what I said. I have almost 10 years of rock crawling and a few years of daily driving on a junkyard trac-loc with zero friction modifier and it still works great. Just depends on how much YOU want it to slip.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the oil with the stuff in it and I really have no complaints.

Sometimes it kind of moans if I turn tight, turning tight on soft ground the inside tire can churn... not a big deal.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...I had read where a few guys tried just 1 bottle of the friction modifier and had to dump a second bottle in to eliminate the problem completely. The amsoil gear lube I used had no additive added. The binding I had when say going through a drive through for coffee, felt really bad to me. It was felt easily up through the front seats into your ass. Felt like something was about to let go. I opted to try 2 bottles of the friction modifier right from the get go. Dealer also told me to use 80w90 gear oil. Shes running silky smooth now.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
80W90 is stock. 75W140 synthetic is what they put in some axles like the 8.8 31 spline in the FXII. If I remember correctly, it was listed as fine in the 7.5 and 8.8 in my 1998 Ranger manual and for the 8.8 in my 2011.

Up to you what you want to run but I figure if I’m only doing axle fluid changes every 100,000 miles, why not put in something that stinks less and holds up better?

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...Is this binding something I should be worried about coming back anytime soon? Buddy told me with the fresh diff oil and friction modifier in there...I will probaly never experience it ( binding), again. Can anyone verify this?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
...Is this binding something I should be worried about coming back anytime soon? Buddy told me with the fresh diff oil and friction modifier in there...I will probaly never experience it ( binding), again. Can anyone verify this?

It shouldn’t as long as you keep up regular, routine, preventative maintenance with the proper fluids.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals