• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford "Chip" key basics. or; What blank key should I buy.

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for your use of this information. By using this information and following the how-to's, you, the reader, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ford Ranger Transponder "Chip" Key Basics.
Or; What blank key should I buy for my Ranger??

First, some basics about PATS

PATS is Ford Motor Company's Passive Anti Theft System, sometimes called “Securilock”. In 1996 PATS (PATS I) started showing up on select models of Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles. The keys for PATS equipped vehicles have a radio frequency transponder (aka: RFID) embedded in the plastic Head.

For the 1999 model year, all Ford Motor Company vehicles equipped with the passive anti theft system started using the PATS II system. The PATS II system was introduced on roughly half of the PATS equipped vehicles for the 1998 model year. The other half of the PATS equipped vehicles for the 1998 model year were equipped with the PATS I system.

When you attempt to start the vehicle, the onboard computer sends out a RF signal that is picked up by the transponder in the key. The transponder then returns a unique RF signal to the vehicle's computer, giving it the ok for the vehicle to start and continue to run. This all happens in less than a second, and is completely transparent to the vehicle operator.

Today, most Ford, Lincoln, Mercury brand cars contain an anti-theft system and will require a "programmed" transponder key to start the car.

In 2006, Ford came out with the IKT key “Integrated Keyhead Transmitter”, or remote head key, whereby the keyless entry remote is built into the head of the key. These keys with the standard Ford 8 cut blade can be replaced with a basic transponder key (40 or 80 bit depending on year) like the H84-PT and H92-PT Keys.

This article will not cover the high security, laser cut key in introduced on some vehicles in 2009, or the Proximity System (aka; PEPS, Passive Entry Passive Start) available on certain later vehicles. Neither of which were available on the US model Ford Rangers.

The Keys;

Note: Different locksmiths own different types of equipment and aftermarket keys use transponders made by different manufactures. Same with key blanks bought on-line, some are better than others.

Encrypted Transponder keys, or common "chip" keys like the ones that came as original equipment and OEM replacement, have a preset, random encryption that needs to be programmed into the vehicle.
Cloneable, sometimes called "Zero bitted" Transponder keys, are set up to be cloned and they have no preset encryption.
How do you tell the difference? If the locksmith makes your key by inserting you key into a tool, than inserting a key blank into the same tool, they are cloning your key. If the locksmith takes a new key out to your car with a tool that he hooks up to your cars OBD port to program the key, he is adding a unique, encrypted "Master key" (sometimes called a "Primary Key") to your system.

Keep in mind that if you have only two keys and one is a clone of the other, you will not be able to add a third key without going to a dealer or locksmith, or using Forscan to add the third key.

A: H72-PT Early 40 Bit Transponder key. To my knowledge the H84-PT and H92-PT keys, even tho they will fit, will NOT replace this key.

B: H84-PT and H92-PT Keys. The H92-PT 80 Bit key key (Strattec, pn 5918997 (Jewel) or pn 5913441 (Black)) is backwards-compatible with 40 Bit technology vehicles using the H84-PT (40 Bit only) keys. The two keys look the same. Note that neither will replace the H72-PT 40 Bit key. The H92-PT (OE 164-R8040) is considered a replacement for the H84-PT (OE 164-R0475) key.

C: 80 or 40 Bit IKT (Integrated Keyhead Transmitter) Transponder key, equipped with a 3 or 4 button remote. The H92-PT key will replace this key.
2011 and 2012 Rangers were available with the 3-button version of this key. (OE 164-R8070, Strattec 5912560) H92-PT (OE 164-R8040) 80 Bit keys will work with these vehicles.

D: Service key H-86, contains no transponder, has the same 8 cut blade as the H72-PT, H84-PT, H92-PT, H75, H75P and many other (Groove 82) keys, and will do everything but start a PATS equipped vehicle.

As a general rule, all vehicles manufactured for the 2010 model year or earlier are equipped with 40 Bit technology. The Ford 80 Bit transponder-equipped key blanks are backwards-compatible with 40 Bit technology vehicles. However, Ford 40 Bit transponder-equipped key blanks are not compatible with vehicles equipped with 80 Bit technology.

Your original Ford transponder keys should have an S, SA, H or HA stamped on them, S for Strattec and H for Huf. The Strattec keys have “S” (40 Bit) or “SA” (80 Bit) stamped above the milling on one side of the blade. Huf keys have “H” (40 Bit) or “HA” (80 Bit) stamped on them. Huf and Strattec are the only Ford authorized manufacturers of the Ford 80 Bit IKT Key blanks.

More information:
http://www.blee1099.com/pats_job_aid.pdf

Ford Ranger Keys by year, some years overlap (half years for example).

2001 - 2012; H92-PT 40 or 80 Bit (Replaces H84-PT, 40 Bit) PATS II and up.
2001 - 2010; H84-PT PATS II and up 40 Bit only.
1999 - 2000; H72-PT PATS I 40 Bit.
1998 - 2001; Rangers with 4cyl 2.5L SOHC Lima engines did not have PATS, H75 Non transponder.
1996 - 2000; H75 Non transponder
1994 - 1996; H67 Non transponder
Some 1993; H54 Non transponder
1980 - 1995; H50 Non transponder
Some 1980 - 1992; H51 Non transponder

Service key H-86, contains no transponder, has the same 8 cut blade (Groove: 82) as the H72-PT, H84-PT, H92-PT, H75, H75P + others.

If you have questions, corrections or information to add, please feel free to PM me or ask questions in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Last edited:

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Finished. (I hope)

Again, if you spot an error or know of something to add, please let me know!

I hope this information proves useful. :D

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered two cheap chip keys from eBay, had them cut, but they wouldn't program.. (Yea I should have known better...) bad or just wrong chip.
So I reordered two Ford OEM chip keys from Amazon. Strattec, pn 5918997 w/Jewel logo. (or you could get pn 5913441 same but with Black logo). Both are H92-PT keys
I had my two Strattec OEM keys cut, but,, one was mis-cut and wouldn't turn the switch without a lot of wiggling...
After programing in my original key and my new Strattec key, I removed the chip from the mis-cut Strattec key by using the wire brush wheel on my bench grinder to remove the soft plastic molding to the point that I could pull out the chip. Then I popped the cheap key open with a pocket knife (two piece case, see pic) and I replaced the cheap chip with the one I took from the Strattec key. Added as third key in the normal way, worked fine!
I added a spot of white-out to the good chip so I wouldn't get them mixed up.

I hope someone finds this useful!! :D:D

Last edited:

Ronlh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I ordered two cheap chip keys from eBay, had them cut, but they wouldn't program.. (Yea I should have known better...) bad or just wrong chip.
So I reordered two Ford OEM chip keys from Amazon. Strattec, pn 5918997 w/Jewel logo. (or you could get pn 5913441 same but with Black logo). Both are H92-PT keys
I had my two Strattec OEM keys cut, but,, one was mis-cut and wouldn't turn the switch without a lot of wiggling...
After programing in my original key and my new Strattec key, I removed the chip from the mis-cut Strattec key by using the wire brush wheel on my bench grinder to remove the soft plastic molding to the point that I could pull out the chip. Then I popped the cheap key open with a pocket knife (two piece case, see pic) and I replaced the cheap chip with the one I took from the Strattec key. Added as third key in the normal way, worked fine!
I added a spot of white-out to the good chip so I wouldn't get them mixed up.

I hope someone finds this useful!! :D:D

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for your use of this information. By using this information and following the how-to's, you, the reader, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Ford Ranger Transponder "Chip" Key Basics.
Or; What blank key should I buy for my Ranger??

First, some basics about PATS

PATS is Ford Motor Company's Passive Anti Theft System, sometimes called “Securilock”. In 1996 PATS (PATS I) started showing up on select models of Ford and Lincoln Mercury vehicles. The keys for PATS equipped vehicles have a radio frequency transponder (aka: RFID) embedded in the plastic Head.

For the 1999 model year, all Ford Motor Company vehicles equipped with the passive anti theft system started using the PATS II system. The PATS II system was introduced on roughly half of the PATS equipped vehicles for the 1998 model year. The other half of the PATS equipped vehicles for the 1998 model year were equipped with the PATS I system.

When you attempt to start the vehicle, the onboard computer sends out a RF signal that is picked up by the transponder in the key. The transponder then returns a unique RF signal to the vehicle's computer, giving it the ok for the vehicle to start and continue to run. This all happens in less than a second, and is completely transparent to the vehicle operator.

Today, most Ford, Lincoln, Mercury brand cars contain an anti-theft system and will require a "programmed" transponder key to start the car.

In 2006, Ford came out with the IKT key “Integrated Keyhead Transmitter”, or remote head key, whereby the keyless entry remote is built into the head of the key. These keys with the standard Ford 8 cut blade can be replaced with a basic transponder key (40 or 80 bit depending on year) like the H84-PT and H92-PT Keys.

This article will not cover the high security, laser cut key in introduced on some vehicles in 2009, or the Proximity System (aka; PEPS, Passive Entry Passive Start) available on certain later vehicles. Neither of which were available on the US model Ford Rangers.

The Keys;

Note: Different locksmiths own different types of equipment and aftermarket keys use transponders made by different manufactures. Same with key blanks bought on-line, some are better than others.

Encrypted Transponder keys, or common "chip" keys like the ones that came as original equipment and OEM replacement, have a preset, random encryption that needs to be programmed into the vehicle.
Cloneable, sometimes called "Zero bitted" Transponder keys, are set up to be cloned and they have no preset encryption.
How do you tell the difference? If the locksmith makes your key by inserting you key into a tool, than inserting a key blank into the same tool, they are cloning your key. If the locksmith takes a new key out to your car with a tool that he hooks up to your cars OBD port to program the key, he is adding a unique, encrypted "Master key" (sometimes called a "Primary Key") to your system.

Keep in mind that if you have only two keys and one is a clone of the other, you will not be able to add a third key without going to a dealer or locksmith, or using Forscan to add the third key.

A: H72-PT Early 40 Bit Transponder key. To my knowledge the H84-PT and H92-PT keys, even tho they will fit, will NOT replace this key.

B: H84-PT and H92-PT Keys. The H92-PT 80 Bit key key (Strattec, pn 5918997 (Jewel) or pn 5913441 (Black)) is backwards-compatible with 40 Bit technology vehicles using the H84-PT (40 Bit only) keys. The two keys look the same. Note that neither will replace the H72-PT 40 Bit key. The H92-PT (OE 164-R8040) is considered a replacement for the H84-PT (OE 164-R0475) key.

C: 80 or 40 Bit IKT (Integrated Keyhead Transmitter) Transponder key, equipped with a 3 or 4 button remote. The H92-PT key will replace this key.
2011 and 2012 Rangers were available with the 3-button version of this key. (OE 164-R8070, Strattec 5912560) H92-PT (OE 164-R8040) 80 Bit keys will work with these vehicles.

D: Service key H-86, contains no transponder, has the same 8 cut blade as the H72-PT, H84-PT, H92-PT, H75, H75P and many other (Groove 82) keys, and will do everything but start a PATS equipped vehicle.

As a general rule, all vehicles manufactured for the 2010 model year or earlier are equipped with 40 Bit technology. The Ford 80 Bit transponder-equipped key blanks are backwards-compatible with 40 Bit technology vehicles. However, Ford 40 Bit transponder-equipped key blanks are not compatible with vehicles equipped with 80 Bit technology.

Your original Ford transponder keys should have an S, SA, H or HA stamped on them, S for Strattec and H for Huf. The Strattec keys have “S” (40 Bit) or “SA” (80 Bit) stamped above the milling on one side of the blade. Huf keys have “H” (40 Bit) or “HA” (80 Bit) stamped on them. Huf and Strattec are the only Ford authorized manufacturers of the Ford 80 Bit IKT Key blanks.

More information:
http://www.blee1099.com/pats_job_aid.pdf

Ford Ranger Keys by year, some years overlap (half years for example).

2001 - 2012; H92-PT 40 or 80 Bit (Replaces H84-PT, 40 Bit) PATS II and up.
2001 - 2010; H84-PT PATS II and up 40 Bit only.
1999 - 2000; H72-PT PATS I 40 Bit.
1998 - 2001; Rangers with 4cyl 2.5L SOHC Lima engines did not have PATS, H75 Non transponder.
1996 - 2000; H75 Non transponder
1994 - 1996; H67 Non transponder
Some 1993; H54 Non transponder
1980 - 1995; H50 Non transponder
Some 1980 - 1992; H51 Non transponder

Service key H-86, contains no transponder, has the same 8 cut blade (Groove: 82) as the H72-PT, H84-PT, H92-PT, H75, H75P + others.

If you have questions, corrections or information to add, please feel free to PM me or ask questions in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.
Can I use the “C” 3 button key to replace the “B” key stamped “S”?

thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1999-2001 2.5l(4cyl) didn't have PATS
It was added in mid-2001 on Rangers that got the 2.3l Duratec engines/PCMs
Just FYI

Ronlh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So my 2001 with the 4.0 doesn't have PATS?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
So my 2001 with the 4.0 doesn't have PATS?
Incorrect. All V6 engines have PATS from 1999 up, 4 cylinders did not get PATS until mid 2001.

Ronlh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So, my question was,
Can I use the “C” 3 button key to replace the “B” key stamped “S”?

thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are people that sell the 3 button keys for 2001 and up Rangers, never tried one

Couple of things that have to work beside PATS(transponder key) to use these
Size, some key handles are just to big to fit between the tongs or inside the slot, on some year Rangers
Keyless entry, the buttons have to use a frequency and "bit" structure that the Ford Keyless entry system can understand. i.e. not all fobs work on all cars

So the transponder key part might work fine, or not, lol

But there are still those 2 other factors that need to be considered

If your ignition cylinder looks like this: http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/2002-FORD-RANGER-IGNITION-SWITCH-TUMBLER.jpg

Then 3 button key is probably too thick to slide in all the way

Otis413

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
"So, my question was,
Can I use the “C” 3 button key to replace the “B” key stamped “S”? "

As far as I know, no, I know the 4 button keys wont fit, and I found a place on-line saying the three button remote keys (the remote entry part, that is) would only work on 2010 and 2011 Rangers but I have no way of knowing if that's true or not.

Last edited:

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
"So, my question was,
Can I use the “C” 3 button key to replace the “B” key stamped “S”? "

As far as I know, no, I know the 4 button keys wont fit, and I found a place on-line saying the three button remote keys (the remote entry part, that is) would only work on 2010 and 2011 Rangers but I have no way of knowing if that's true or not.
The 3 button remote key will not work on my '11 Ranger. Won't go all the way into the slot.

Ronlh1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok,
Thank you!!

bhgl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B3000 DS
Transmission
Automatic
Posting to say this guide saved me from buying the wrong blank keys! This guide ought to be in the tech section!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@Jim Oaks

Maybe this hot overlooked...

Looks like good info for the Tech Library

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals