• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Ended - how bad? totaled?

freemti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am torn, part of me wants to keep it, the other part is all excited to see if I can "scam" a new truck out of this and buy a 2019 Ranger instead. Note I pimped this truck out a bit as well, a 3 section folding torneau cover, new stereo with GPS, new speakers, bedrug, hard plastic diamond rails & tailgate protectors, etc... Also it is all paid off too of course.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was clear to see that both frame rails are bent/twisted/pinched which ever term or combination of terms is the right description. In addition one of the leaf spring holding brackets was pushed out of place maybe like 1/2" or more. The entire town package assembly was clearly bent and pushed down and in by 30 degrees or more. Other minor issues like damage to the gate and one of the side panels along with damage to the spare.

The adjuster and the body shop people said that "fixing" the frame while possible would not be authorized as a valid repair by Ford and therefore by the insurance company. The only option would be a new frame and a new after market tow package, plus all the other misc. repairs. If all that is estimated to cost more than 80% of some legally defined "cost" of the vehicle - then they consider it totaled and cut me a check for replacement or maybe appraised cost - not sure which,

Note my truck is a 2011 Range XLT 4x4 with super cab (tiny fold down seats) with ~64K miles. Quick google suggested similar trucks are asking ~$10-11K+
The official term is Actual Cash Value, and if repair estimates are 75-80% of ACV then it will be totaled. If it's totaled, you'll get a check for ACV. Most of the time, the insurance company will use KBB or NADA book values as a big part of ACV. It seems like most of the time people are disappointed when an insurance company offers them a lower than expected ACV. The insurance company obviously doesn't want to pay you any more than they have to. If you're not happy with the ACV, you can dispute it and tell them about the accessories and things that had been added, or show them what similar models sell for.

In your case, I'm guessing they'll calculate an ACV of 8-10k, which would mean if repair estimates are 6000-8000k then it would be totaled. I'm guessing that New frame + Major repair or replacement of the bed and tailgate + paint will easily exceed that, but we'll see...

freemti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
They came back with an estimate of $5,254 for parts including ~$3K for 'frame assy', I imagine that means the entire frame not just the rear section [updated: my research seems to show that this Ranger model does not have a 2 part frame - but I could be wrong]. Labor was ~$2400 and adding sales tax the total amount is north of $8000 which is $3K over the collision limit for basic insurance the guy who hit me has,

So I'm not so thrilled right now, I guess my best option would be to pick and chose what gets repaired, drop all the "fancy" stuff like the paint work, tailgate etc.. maybe just the rear section of the frame and see it I can get a quote for exactly $5K or a bit over.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you filed a claim with your insurance company, or just talking to the other guy's insurance?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think insurance reframes many trucks that old, it has to be nearly new and loaded for them to open that can of worms.

FYI I doubt anybody has a new frame for an '11 Ranger on a shelf somewhere. Either they are straightening yours or they are figuring on a used one.

freemti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the itemized repair quote from the adjuster had a frame listed at some $3K+ so I was assuming they found someplace that sells them.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a couple months ago I picked up the rear half from a 2010 for $350 from a salvage yard.
Ford has a couple frames listed, 2 are coil springs and the other is 112" WB. too bad they don't list the rear rails separately.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
was it wrote for an LKQ frame? Thats how they word a used frame on estimates.

I don't think insurance reframes many trucks that old, it has to be nearly new and loaded for them to open that can of worms.

FYI I doubt anybody has a new frame for an '11 Ranger on a shelf somewhere. Either they are straightening yours or they are figuring on a used one.
You're mostly right, because the repair cost typically totals it.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had 2 vehicles totaled within the last 6 months and both times we got WAY more than what we paid for the vehicle. They give you what the vehicle is worth, not what you have in it which can be good or bad. Little things like new speakers and trim won't add much to their estimate. bigger items like factory packages like tow packages are what drive the value up. if it were me, I would want the money. yes you could get all the stuff fixed but it wont be like it did from the factory. They are going to use all the stuff that wasn't damaged in the accident and fit it onto a new frame. Which we all know that when you pull something off the frame, you more than likely need new hardware. You need to make sure they accounted for all that as well.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The adjuster and the body shop people said that "fixing" the frame while possible would not be authorized as a valid repair by Ford and therefore by the insurance company. The only option would be a new frame and a new after market tow package, plus all the other misc. repairs.
In the not too distant past - say 2012, fixing a rear ended '11 Ranger would have been consider required. So, Ford had a repair guide on how to separate the frame sections and replace just the back 1/2. (I have a copy squirreled away somewhere that I could find the document number if you really want it; all '98+ Rangers have 2 piece frame).

Note: If the front 1/2 of the frame is "tweaked" you are looking at full frame replacement. I'm shocked that body shop could move cab/engine/transmission/axles/etc from one frame to another for $2.5k. (I've done it and know how much work it is.)

What people are asking for similar Rangers is probably about 10-15% more than what they sell for (everyone negotiates). KBB for SC XLT 4wd starts at $8.5k for '11 from what I can see online. Tonneau covers, stereo aren't included in std insurance - which is why I pay extra - I can't walk away from the 331 in my Ranger.

Most body shops quote purchase of all new parts; "finding & fixing" old parts just isn't worth it to them.

If you really like your truck/can't afford a '19; most places give you option to buy back your truck after insurance payout. Then you have repair your truck (either yourself or work with shop), have it inspected that repairs have been completed satisfactorily.* After which you can put your truck back on the road.

Unfortunately, it will be deemed salvage and only considered worth about 1/2 as much.

*Repairs will include making sure tires have adequate tread, brakes minimum depth, all lights work, no check engine, etc. Everything will be inspected as part of a salvage review.

Good luck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most body shops quote purchase of all new parts; "finding & fixing" old parts just isn't worth it to them.
Insurance prefers used parts whenever possible though.

When I hit a deer I got a used bumper, when mom got sideswiped she got used doors.

Their justification is you had used parts and replacing with used parts should be fine. :annoyed:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Honestly, I see about 3 Rangers a day that have their bumper perpendicular to the bed. It seems like a fairly common result of Tallahassee traffic.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals