• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D shifter problem

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
My tranny is hard shifting in 3rd and 4th. What could cause this? It's stiff, like some resistance, not like worn synchros. Any help would be much appreciated. It's in a 91 explorer.

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
have you tried bleeding the clutch?

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does it drag the same way when you try to shift back and forth with the engine off? If it does, you likely have a shift bar housing issue.

As far as bleeding the clutch, the clutch is not the problem unless it happens in all gears. Sometimes I wonder how much fluid has been wasted bleeding brakes and clutches for no good reason.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
It is not a clutch problem, I know that already. It drags the same whether it's running or not. Clutch pushed in or not with engine off. Clutch pushed in with engine on. It's all the same. Any idea as to how I can fix this problem? I have another top half of an M50D that ate 1st gear. It has the older style rubber plugs in the back though. I wanted to keep the one I have that has the freeze plugs in the back that don't leak.

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, first you need to pull the shift bar cover off and see if that's really the problem. Right now it's just a guess. Mine still has the rubber plugs and I've had no problems. But if you really want the freeze plugs, just go get some freeze plugs--they're dirt cheap. If you decided to fix the old shift bar housing rather than swap the two, you'll have to dig the plugs out anyway to get it apart.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
The new shifter I have already has the freeze plugs in it. The other, old tranny that was pulled out has the rubber plugs. The rubber plugs on the old one caused all the fluid to become full of water and burn all the teeth off of first gear. If I pull it off will I be able to tell if the resistance is coming from the shifter or rail inside the tranny? The top cover looked like it comes off very easily.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
the top cover is easily removed. i pulled the one off my rebuilt unit before i put it in the truck just to see if anything looked different inside compared to my old trans. you can silicone over the rubber plugs also if you dont want to deal with steel core plugs. there cheap and easy though. i siliconed over my steel core plugs just for peace of mind.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
The freeze plugs you need are either Dana #219-3052 or Dorman #555-108. I know of two local NAPA parts stores that stock the Dorman plugs, so if you have a NAPA near you they should have them in stock. It's too bad you don't live within a few miles of me or something, I bought 100 of them off of rockauto.com just because the shipping cost was HALF of what they wanted to ship a 10 pack and I think I still have over 50 of them left.

Fordsforever

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What did you find out????

My tranny is hard shifting in 3rd and 4th. What could cause this? It's stiff, like some resistance, not like worn synchros. Any help would be much appreciated. It's in a 91 explorer.
I have a ranger with a similar shifting problem and am interested in your findings.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
I won't have time to pull the shifter cover until probably sunday. Hopefully it's not the tranny, this one just went in. I've had better luck with autos.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals