• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sas new direction

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
so ive really been thinking lately and ive made some decisions on my sas plans.

first of all i plan on selling my dana 44 from a 91 wagoneer.why?
1.because for the tire that i want to run i just dont think that it is wide enough.it is the same as my stock width now
2. i want my bolt patterns to match

so i was considering my options and i know that there is many and thats what i was hoping to get some help with. i dont want to go to full width becasue i just dont like how it looks with the tires sticking out so far.

so what i was wondering was are there any axles that are wider than stock, yet not as wide as full width?? maybe from an explorer, or a bronco?

i was thinking on running a dana 44 up front and a 8.8.... maybe a 9" in the back?

thanks!

-cody

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
the waggy axle is the closest, then the early bronco 44(hard to find) and then the dana 30 xj, other than that the rest are full width unless u make it yourself.
maybe some yotota axle could be another option, but i duno(havent looked into it)(out of a land cruiser, or hilux pickup)

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
That waggy axle should be around 2-2.5"s wider than your stock axle. About the closest you will get to non fullwidth but wider.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
the waggy axle is the closest, then the early bronco 44(hard to find) and then the dana 30 xj, other than that the rest are full width unless u make it yourself.
maybe some yotota axle could be another option, but i duno(havent looked into it)(out of a land cruiser, or hilux pickup)
so... i take that back. ive been browsing around the SAS writeup section on explorerforums.com and full width isnt really that bad :icon_thumby:

That waggy axle should be around 2-2.5"s wider than your stock axle. About the closest you will get to non fullwidth but wider.
yea i had planned on using wheel spacers in the rear but i still didnt like the idea

Last edited:

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
here is a good plan if you ask me...

full width dana 44/ ford 9" from a 1978 ford f-150

how does that sound?

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Sounds good, 74-77 would be better though. :stirthepot:

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
You can remove the wedges and move them in. Even earlier than 74, but they are drum braked. Can be converted very easily though.

QuakerShaker4242

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l V6
Transmission
Automatic
You can remove the wedges and move them in. Even earlier than 74, but they are drum braked. Can be converted very easily though.
alright sounds good. bolt pattern 5x5.5. disk brake. was the front suspension setup coil or leaf?

oh and does anyone know how much a front and rear axle would cost??

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
It's always about how good you are at bargaining and the going price in your area. Also, what you are willing to spend.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I bought a 74' F150 d44 (radius arm and welded wedges) for $150, and just spent $200 on a full EB frame, with drivetrain and D44, without the rear 9".

-andrew

madmax401

Reaction score
relocating the wddges

on my 88 ranger
i have a 71-77 f150 style d44 with the wedges. how far inward can i move those wedges? does anyone have some exact measurements for that? i only ask because i dont have a welder .....my trucks in the driveway and everything has to be sent out to a welder (kinda hard to do as the welder will make everything permanent based on a ruff estimate ). looks like i can only move in my passenger side about 2 inches max without relocating the track bar mount. should i cut the track bar mount of and reweld after the wedges are properly located? that makes more sense. and when i do re-weld the wedges back on.....will i be changing the angle of the radius arms? measurements links and other write ups would be helpfull to us first timers.:icon_pepsi:

zainyD]

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I moved my wedges in 1.5" on either side and my coils sit perfectly. I would consider removing the track bar bracket and fabricating another so that you can ensure that your drag link and trackbar are on the same plane.

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
Shoot for around 36"s center to center on the wedges. Your springs should be very close at that point. You will probably have to move your track bar mount.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals