• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

93 ranger manual trans

michowski

Reaction score
I have a 93 3.0L 4wd man. trans. After noticing some extra slop in the shifter and going offroading for the first time today, my shifter has become very loose. It just has so much movement in it even in gear. What causes the shifter to become really loose and easy to move? I had the trans out before and there is a bushing on the top of the trans were the shifter goes in. Could that cause excess shifter play?
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It is not exactly a bushing, I call it a spring washer. Sounds like you need to also replace the seal at the shifter. The shifter is held on with 3 torx head screws.

michowski

Reaction score
do you have any idea of were I can purchase these parts to get the slop out of my shifter?
________
buy vaporizer

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You'll have to stop by the dealer parts department, but they aren't that expensive. If you pull the shifter boot off, you'll see a nut at the base of the shifter. Pull it off of the side it's on and flip it to the other side, then tighten it down to release the shifter (this makes more sense when you're looking at it). From there, you'll need to replace the pieces that go around the shifter ball.

michowski

Reaction score

These are 2 pics of the top of trans and the shifter. I went to ford and got a diagram so im able to see what peices I need. Only problem is I cant tell if its a bushing, washer, or what from this diagram.

Top of the trans didnt have anything in the hole. I think there is supposed to be something there. So having never done this before I please ask for any assistance. From the bottom of the shifter above the ball is 2 metal washers, and a broken rubber ring, then the plate that bolts the shifter to the trans. Above the plate is a big rubber ring and then the bolt and nut. Ive never done this before so im not exactly sure what I need from this diagram. Any help is grately appreciated.
________
RC172

Last edited:

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok, i cant quite see all of the part numbers exactly but I'll tell you what you need. You will need 2 of each of these three parts for a total of 6 pieces (the upper and lower parts are the same)

see on the left side of the page about the middle, there is a larger part number 7277, that is the part with the 3 bolt holes that the torx bolts were in and you already have. You need the next 3 parts below that, one is a wavy washer, one is a flat washer, and one is the bushing (or spring as ford calls it)

the bushing there I can see is 7228 but I cant read the numbers of the two parts above it. Remember to order TWO of each of those three parts.

To install them take a hammer and punch and tap one of those two pins out to the side (doesn't matter which one) then put in a wavy washer and a flat waser and a bushing. Then hammer the pin back in place and put in the stub shaft and then a bushing, flat washer and wavy washer then bolt the boot plate back on with the 3 torx bolts and it should be all set. just make sure that when you put the stub shaft back in it is facing the correct direction.

michowski

Reaction score
ok so if im correct then its the bushings that go on the ball, then the flat washer, then the wavy washer and thats it for the shifter. What about in pic 2 on the top of the trans? Isnt there supposed to be some sort of rubber bushing in the hole? Or is that what is on the shifter that sits in there? Other then those I just need the gasket for the peice with the 3 torx bolts when it bolts onto the trans. Thanks a lot for the help. First time ive ever done this.
________
RC170

Last edited:

michowski

Reaction score
They dont have and cant get any parts. He gave me a company name were I can buy a whole new shifter for 170 but he doesnt garuntee it comes with the bushings and washers I need. Looks like I get a shiney new steel hurst shifter now :)
________
Honda CB750K

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Who is 'he' - dealer parts? If so, call another dealer. This is absolutely something they can get. Does the Hurst shifter not require these same bushings anyway?

michowski

Reaction score
My local ford dealer. He checked the computer and said they dont make/carry them anymore. He is only able to get the flat washer. He tried to get the entire shifter thinking it would come with the parts I needed but they arent even able to get that either. He recommended me to a store that does have the shifter but its 175 and he isnt sure if it even comes with the bushings. I can get the hurst shifter for 209 and just eliminate the bushings. Plus the stick is made of steel so shifting from gear to gear will be smoother and easier to do. Plus it has a shorter throw from the way its designed.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=HUU-3915020&N=700+4294908331+4294907827+4294924761+4294822078+4294908245+115&autoview=sku
________
BMW R90

Last edited:

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't know what the issue is with your dealer. This transmission is STILL in production, there is no way at all that the parts aren't available. Call another dealer before spending the money on the Hurst.

TireIron

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you want the benefits of the hurst then by all means get it, it is very nice and shifts wonderfully and it doesnt need the bushings. However Ford definitly CAN get the bushings, the plastic bushing that goes just under and over the ball of the stub shaft is part number 1L2Z*7228*AA and is MOST DEFINITLY still available. I don't have a part number for either of the washers however because I've never replaced them, just reused them.

And remember, you need 2 of each part because they go above AND below the ball of the stub shaft, not just above.

and by the way your dealer parts guy SUCKS

michowski

Reaction score
Thats messed up then. I went in to order em and about 10 minutes later he tells me I cant get them. There no longer making them and there unavailable. I was like what if I put in for a special order and waiting a few days longer and he was like nope. We absolutely cant get anything except a washer. Then he was like let me try and see if I can get a new shifter so we can get the parts that way. Ford cant even get the shifter lol. He wrote down some company's name and said they got a shifter for 175 and there 20 miles away, but I cant tell you if it comes with all the bushings and washers tho. At that point I was like F this and left. Looked around on the net and found a rebuild kit with everything I needed for 100 bucks. I figured why not just spend an extra hundred and just get the hurst shifter. Im already more then half way there plus in the end il have a much better shifter and wont have to worry about these bushings anymore.

For 50 bucks I would have kept the stock but if I gotta put out over a hundred in the end to get the stock shifter working I might as well just get the hurst shifter and have something really good to show for it, you know?
________
buy easy vape vaporizer

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals