• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

problem tranny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Folks,
My apologies if this topic is already covered some-where. I am new to this forum. I have a 2000 Ranger XLT extended cab 4x4 automatic transmission. I believe the engine is the 4.0 litre. I have looked in the owners manual and it is a generic manual and does not tell me. I will have to look else-where.
The problem... The over-drive light blinks and the tranny jolts when it shifts. I had it looked at by a dealer who said he wanted over $3000.00 to replace the entire transmission because there was a problem with the torque converter. I have misplaced the paperwork that told what the exact problem is but here is the question. Is it possible to just replace the torque converter or must the whole tranny be done AND, can this be done by a person with a torque wrench, assorted screw-drivers, wrenches and a hammer? I don't even have a repair manual for this rig. I did do a tranny job on a Datsun 810 some 12 years ago, which was a simple unbolt a few bolts, drop the tranny, put in the new one, reconnect the bolts, but it never worked right there-after. A junk-yard tranny I got stuck with. I would go for a good rebuilt one today if possible.
Another question, what should I expect to pay for a tranny? How much is it going to cost me roughly, and roughly how much time should it take? Is it better/cheaper etc to have a shop do it? What is reasonable to pay for a job like that?

many thanks for your kind patience with a mechanical idiot like-myself.

All the best

Andrew

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
replacing a tranny isnt too difficult of a job. its still a matter of unbolting some bolts and bolting the new one in....but now-a-days you also have to unplug a few wiring harnesses as well....no biggie.

the tranny in your truck is entirely electronically controlled. the problem may not be the converter itself, but something that controls the converters lock-up feature (thats what it sounds like based on your description), in which case replacing the converter wont help.

prices vary from location to location. if you have a local tranny shop, call them up and get a quote...it never hurts to have a second opinion.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is'nt there even a diagnostic tool now for the newer trannys sort of like the OBD systems used for engine diagnostics?

Allen

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
its part of the OBD system. the dealer would have pulled the codes when they hooked the computer up to the truck but it sounds like he lost the papers the dealer gave him.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Might want to pull the codes. The dealer will tell you anything. It very well could be a sensor or valve in the tranny.

May want to get a second opinion.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep, in a situation like this I would want at least 3 non-affiliated shop's opinions. Electronically controlled this, electronically controlled that......it could be something much simpler.

Allen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
more information

Hi Folks, Many thanks for your replies so far. I have been digging around for the paperwork from the dealer, and found it! He does not list the actual codes, but says as follows

"Failure codes exist for torque converter clutch failure. Noise from converter sounds like broken stator, removed transmission pan and inspect. Major debris in transmission pan, brass, metal and clutch material"

I had had the tranny flushed 3 times at Jiffy-lube, less then a week before I took it to him as I suspected there might be a problem with not getting around to changing out the fluids in the last 30k miles or so, about the time it was done last. They did not change the filter, just emptied and flushed repeatedly, then refilled and flushed.
The dealer in putting things back together replaced filter, cleaned out pan etc and charged me $150.00. He did not save any thing to show me so i do not actually know if there really was a problem.
When I found out the cost he wanted (over 3thousand bucks) and to replace the entire tranny, I took it to a shop every one in town says is OK. He took it out, drove like a maniac with me in it, for about 10 minutes and pronounced the truck pretty much sound. He did not hear any noises but did say it slipped a little between 2 and 3. a quart of Transex would solve that he said... I asked him about it being any problem to drive say 50 miles, and he said he would drive it 500 with no fear. It has been fine in the 2 months since the dealer looked at it, and now is starting all over again. I took it in last week to a dealer in Salem (unaffiliated) and they replaced the Speed control wiring harness as per the recent recall. It was right after this that things started happening again.

So... with this in mind, what now? I owe $6500 still on this truck and I am wishing I had not traded in my 1990 manual 4x4 ranger for this one. I could have bought the new engine I needed for it with the money I have spent on payments for this truck.

All the best

Andrew

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if there was debris in the pan then the tranny is probably toast. even if the converter is at fault, the metal bebris has been circulated through the entire hydraulic system and has causes god knows what kinds of extra damage.

if it were me, i'd look for a low mileage junkyard tranny. if no luck there, then bite the bullet to order a rebuilt one, and install it yourself to save labor costs.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
if there was debris in the pan then the tranny is probably toast. even if the converter is at fault, the metal bebris has been circulated through the entire hydraulic system and has causes god knows what kinds of extra damage.

if it were me, i'd look for a low mileage junkyard tranny. if no luck there, then bite the bullet to order a rebuilt one, and install it yourself to save labor costs.
WS has it right. If the converter is failed and spewing metal and debris into the trans, either rebuild it or replace it. Don't do a partial repair. It'll bit you in the ass every time.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like I will have to bite the bullet and swap out the tranny. OK, so how do I know which tranny to use? A website I went to listed at least 3, and did not tell me how to tell which one I had. how do I find out which tranny I have in mine, and does it matter? If I have a certain type, can it be swapped for a better type or am I asking for trouble?
How easy is it to rebuild a tranny? I have never rebuilt anything except model airplanes as a kid. I am pretty good at take it apart, put it back together the same way, but if it gets to diagnosing what's wrong, I loose it right there. Unless it is obviously broken or really worn out, I can't tell.

All the best

Andrew

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you have either a 4R55E or 5R55E, depending on a 4 or 5 speed. your best bet is to replace it with the same tranny, thus avoiding possible conflicts with the computer that controls the tranny. your VIN might identify the tranny, otherwise im not sure how to tell (they look identical).

i wouldnt reccomend attempting to rebuild a tranny with no experience. automatic transmissions are pretty precise and complicated machines, rebuilding is usually not a backyard mechanic precedure.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals