• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need insight

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If it isn't in the Constitution it is my duty not to obey .
Losing power at higher speeds, 3rd, 4th and fifth gear

My 89 2.3 liter 5 speed Ranger is losing power in fourth and fifth gear sometimes third at the top end, then it goes into the lower gears. I replaced the fuel sending unit. It feels like the motor is starving for fuel at higher speeds. From a stop it runs fine up through the gears. Then, same problem. It also shutters, shakes and the motor gets loud while this is happening. I'm friggen stumped

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Okey Dokey Rob...posted in your other thread before seeing this...

Essentially, check the FPR if you haven't already done so. If you could do a fuel pressure test while driving that would be ideal so you could tell if the pressure is bleeding off. These engines need between 35 to 45 PSI to function properly and what can happen is the pressure is dropping due to a leak somewhere..so start with the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the fuel rail and smell the hose to see if you detect a fuel smell...if so...the FPR is done...replace...

The noise and other symptoms (usually bucking, lurching, or hopping down the road) are understandable once you know the fuel supply is interrupted...I've seen tests on fuel pressure while driving done and that either confirms or eliminates that as a problem...then we can look at other possibles...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poS2K9VdTR8

Here is one to watch...this was on a newer Ranger that requires the 60 psi...yours is still 35-45 psi

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would be thinking that it is a delivery volume problem. Will it climb a good hill without starting to lose power? If you had a carb, the float bowl would 'cover' for a slight reduction in flow, as it would fill on level ground, low load conditions, and start to 'run dry' climbing a hill of the delivery volume was reduced.
Has the fuel filter been changed? Does this have the two pump system? One in the tank, in the 'sending unit' assembly, and one on the frame rail about under the drivers seat? The second is the higher pressure pump. In between on some is a canister that may hold a filter, or not, depending. The canister has two lines in and out for 'return' style systems.(total 4 lines) Some are just empty, apparently to use up the stock of that style fuel lines, etc.
Any way, you can check delivery volume using a pressure gauge with a bleed & bleed hose. At idle, with the gauge connected, open the bleed and collect the fuel for a measured time, stop. Determine the fuel flow rate using the collected fuel and elapsed time. If it is low, check filter & pump.
tom

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Alright, off to the auto parts store

1989rangerob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Turns out the little plastic clip on the fuel line wasn't secured completely. Did plugs and wires. Secured the clip on the line. It runs right now. Thanks for the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals