• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Torquing output shaft nut

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
M5ODR2. Any pointers? Supposed to be torqued to 160-200lb-ft, has a shaft sticking out of it so you can't get a normal socket on it. Ford dealer doesn't have the tool (more than likely they can't find it).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Put a box or open end wrench on the nut, box end would, of course, be better :)

Put a 2ft pipe over the wrench and slide it as close to nut as possible, apply 80-90 pounds pressure to the end of pipe
Or 4ft pipe and apply 40-45 pounds

160ft/lb is 160lbs at 1 ft distance/lever, so 80lbs at 2ft, 40lbs at 4ft

You can also get Crowfoot wrenches or wrench sets that can be used with standard torque wrench
Google: crowfoot wrench sets

But good ones are expensive and make sure you have the clearance to shaft for torque wrench head, i.e. pointer style would be better for this than the ratchet/click style torque wrench

They also make open ended torque wrenches with changeable wrench sizes, but pricey for one time use

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought about a crows foot, I doubt a 55mm one would be too cheap and didn't know if it would take it.

I had thought about drawing up basically a 55mm box end "crows foot" type thing with a 1/2" square and having the local fab shop burn one out of 1/4" plate with their laser.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Any local transmission shops that would work with you just stopping by to have them torque the nut down?

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Torqueing output shaft nut

I'd use a crows foot

Edit:
Just read it's a 55mm. Ouch. Harbor Freight it? Unless you can see yourself using it a lot / more than once or twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are tool rental companies in my area, maybe your area has one that has correct tool for the job

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
When I did mine I was lucky and scored a 55m wrench off eBay for $20 with free shipping. I used about a 2 foot length of tubing over the wrench to torque mine down. I did not use a torque wrench but after torquing lug nuts for so many years I figured I have a good feel for how tight it was, and with it being a staked nut I wasn't worried about it coming loose.

8k miles on my trans without any issues but I guess it could come loose someday? I am not sure. Getting it to spec is definitely the correct way to do it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any local transmission shops that would work with you just stopping by to have them torque the nut down?
Everybody just gets a reman in a box around here.

My brother hasn't opened one of these up since he started at his current dealer in '09. At his previous dealer he did one right out of college but it closed when he left.

I'd use a crows foot

Edit:
Just read it's a 55mm. Ouch. Harbor Freight it? Unless you can see yourself using it a lot / more than once or twice
I really hope it is a one and done. Neither HF or Northern show anything online that big.

There are tool rental companies in my area, maybe your area has one that has correct tool for the job
Parts store would be it, I can't hardly even find one online though.

When I did mine I was lucky and scored a 55m wrench off eBay for $20 with free shipping. I used about a 2 foot length of tubing over the wrench to torque mine down. I did not use a torque wrench but after torquing lug nuts for so many years I figured I have a good feel for how tight it was, and with it being a staked nut I wasn't worried about it coming loose.

8k miles on my trans without any issues but I guess it could come loose someday? I am not sure. Getting it to spec is definitely the correct way to do it.

That is a nice wrench, I could probably swipe a 24" crescent wrench from work but it would be nice to know for sure what I am doing.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Everybody just gets a reman in a box around here.

My brother hasn't opened one of these up since he started at his current dealer in '09. At his previous dealer he did one right out of college but it closed when he left.

I really hope it is a one and done. Neither HF or Northern show anything online that big.

Parts store would be it, I can't hardly even find one online though.

That is a nice wrench, I could probably swipe a 24" crescent wrench from work but it would be nice to know for sure what I am doing.
Got a 45# plate you could tie to the end of the 24" crescent wrench?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Lock it into 2 gears at once with the top cover off and just use a pipe wrench. Tighten that bitch down as much as you can. Helps a lot if you can brace the trans case in something. That's kinda a hokey way to do it, but it works, I have a bunch of miles on my rebuild now and it's been fine.

Spott

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When I rebuilt the FM146 in my 2.9l '88, I took it to the best shop in town (also the biggest tranny parts supplier in the state) and they helped me get that rear output nut off. The tech that helped me, recommended that I just use a cold chisel and hammer against a corner of the nut to drive it around and get it really tight when I reinstalled it. I assume he knows what he's talking about, in his position. That method resulted in a reliable transmission for over 4 years, until the truck was totaled in an accident.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals