• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Shifter problem

bossbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
86 Ranger 2.9 5spd

Last week the shifter was going way past the normal travel route when going into 5th or reverse and feeling quite sloppy. Now the shifter is way sloppy and won't move the gears. It is stuck in reverse and can't move into other gears.

Haven't pulled it apart yet, still need to get it home.

Just hoping you guys might be able to give me a heads up on what I need to do to repair it.

Thanks again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reads like a roll pin has sheared off

5 speed trans will have 3 Shift rods, 1-2, 3-4, 5-Reverse

Each shift rod has a slot piece for the shifter, and that slot piece is held in place on the shift rod with a Roll Pin.

Shift rods also have a shift fork held in place on shift rod by a roll pin

Neutral is when all 3 slots are lined up in the center, you can slide the shifter back and forth full range side to side.
When you select a gear, 1 shift rod is moved forward or backwards by the shifter, and it no longer lines up with the other 2 slots, so you can't move it sideways until you move it back to center, Neutral, and slots again line up, this prevents 2 gears from being engaged at the same time.

It reads like slot on 5-R shift rod became loose, roll pin issue, and now shifter can't reach slot to return it to Neutral.

First thing would be to remove the shifter and look down inside, to see the slots and then see if you can move them with a screw driver, or long bar, back to Neutral position, put blocks behind tires, and push truck forward or backwards to take any weight off the driveline/transmission so you can shift it manually

Look here for removal: http://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/transmission-transfer-case-driveshaft/shifter-bushing-replacement/

Last picture there shows 2 of the 3 slots lined up from that pictures angle, you can see all 3 with shifter removed, looking straight down the hole

There is a top plate than can be removed with trans in the truck, but some cutting of floor plate may be needed.

Picture here of top plate, upside down, so you can see the shift rods, roll pins and forks: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1173238-m5od-shifter-fork-wear-diagnostics-pics-inside.html

And roll pins can be replaced with top plate off.

Could be just the shifter bushing is very bad, but long shot on that with description of problem.

And it could be something wrong in the transmission for 5-R

Roll pin issues are not common, but with Rangers the hydraulic clutch does tend to get air in it, when that happens drivers get pissed off and FORCE shifter into a gear because clutch is not fully released, and this puts alot of strain on the roll pin for that gear, that shifter is a long lever so puts out alot of force at the other end

Last edited:

bossbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Ron,

I have it home, and removed the shifter, mine is nothing like the shifter you posted the bushing kit would not fit in this set up.

Basically, there is a much smaller cover plate holding the shifter in the trans. it has 4 bolts holding it in. The ball at the bottom of the shifter fits into a socket in the trans. I can see how it should slide from left to right and forward and back. But it seams to be jammed.

That's as far as I got last night when I got the truck home.

Clutch and hydraulics are good.

Any suggestions.

Thanks again,

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I read year wrong, thinking M5OD transmission

1986 Ranger 4x4 could have Mitsubishi FM145 or toyo kogyo tk5
2WD would have toyo kogyo tk5

If you still have the drivers door label then TRANS code D = FM145, TRANS code 5 = TK5

TK5 shifter seen here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=897338

bossbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The trans shifter area looks more like this http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35381

3rd picture down. Door tag is there but nothing is legible.

It is 2wd, if I manually put the shifter slide by hand in what I think should be 1st and 2nd I can get it to move front to back but with no resistance. I can manually put it what I think is 3rd and 4th with resistance.

Correction, thinking about the position of the shifter, I am getting resistance in 3rd and 4th, 1st and 2nd, but no resistance at all for 5th or reverse. As far as I can tell.

The only thing I can see on the ball of the shifter is what looks like a worn out plastic collar that goes just above the ball. There is a hole on the side of the housing where the ball would go on the slide. Maybe a roll pin goes there?

Anyway, what should I do, I can send you pictures, or maybe if you can post a exploded view of a diagram that would help.

THanks

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have the TK5 in an 1986 2WD Ranger
Other pictures here: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115173

Couldn't find an exploded view of the parts, I don't have much on the TK5, it is not the same as a T5 just FYI, if it comes up.

I do know that the 2.9l engine has the same transmission bolt pattern as the 4.0l engine, they shared the same block.
The 1988 to 1992 2.9l 2WD Rangers used the M5OD-R1(M5R1)
The 1990 to 2012 4.0l 2WD Rangers also used the M5R1

So instead of spending money on the TK5, if it comes to that, you may want to shop for a 2WD M5R1 from a 2.9l or 4.0l Ranger/Mazda B4000, needs to be 1997 or earlier to have speedometer cable hook up.
You would need M5R1 driveshaft and Clutch setup

bossbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The trans and shifter were working great, until all of a sudden I was able to through the shifter all the way over to the right, past the position for 5th and reverse.

Then when it got jammed I can no longer find 5th and reverse manually, not using the shifter but just using my fingers to move the socket piece inside the trans. It just slides back and forth on the rod with no resistance.

Could it be that the shift rod or something on it is bad. Do I really have to pull the tranny and open it up.

What are the chances it's just a bad shifter?

bossbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just thought I'd give an update.

I ordered a new shifter from Allstate Gear, my son installed it this morning and told me it's like new.

On to the next issue.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals