• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In search of a tk5

Mpollard1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I need a tk5 trans for a 1987 ranger with 2.0 anyone have one? Or know what they put These in so I can try and locate one

Mpollard1990

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The transmission that came with the truck that was supposed to be right is a E87A-EG. not sure what that fits

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Youll need a TK from another 2.0/2.3 ranger. The 2.8/2.9 used a different bellhousing pattern...

try this site...

www.car-part.com

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can waste a lot of time looking for a 30 year old transmission instead of getting the more plentiful and more reliable Mazda unit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You can waste a lot of time looking for a 30 year old transmission instead of getting the more plentiful and more reliable Mazda unit.

Which also requires clutch line modification, as well as i believe driveshaft shortning. Not to mention, youll go from a 3.96 1st gear to a 3.72 first gear, and with a 2.0 you cant really afford to lose much in the take off dept.

I forgot to add, dont get a trans from a 2.3 diesel.

Have you thought about having your TK Rebuilt? Heres a kit for 137 bucks, 217 if you need the syncros.

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/toyo_kogyo_4_and_5_speed_overhaul_kit.html

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
He'd need a driveshaft, sure, but those are plentiful. Clutch line can come from the donor vehicle. All this is infinitely wise than screwing with a mediocre transmission from the last millennium.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did my V8 swap the got $50 to shorten a driveshaft. Not a big deal.

Watch so you don't go too new and lose the speedo drive though.

If you rebuild what you have you know what you have. If you get another used trans it might need rebuilt too for all you know unless you can drive it before you pull it.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
OP, theres nothing wrong with a TK, espicially behind a 2.0.

Yes, the mazda is stronger then a TK, and the TK was last used in 87, but at the end of the day if you are just looking to get your daily driver rolling again, then a TK is your best bet. Some people around automotive forums tend to think that anytime something old breaks its better to replace it with something new (current) regardless of how little benefit you may recieve.

Keep the TK, or get a mazda, ill sleep just fine either way, but really theres no point in getting the mazda, the mazdas going to carry a higher price tag on the used market, and youll lose the lower 1st gear.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i ass u me this is a 2wd application....where are you located??

because it often depends on where you live as to what is available and most cost effective for a used transmission....

the mazda m5odr1 will be the easiest to find...there is more of them...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more.

but i have to agree with rusty in a 2wd application looking around on the car-part will likely net a tk5....
theres units around here starting @ 125 plus tax and core pulled...bolt in swap.

wont matter if it is a 2.9 or 2.8, cause the bells should be removable...

in your case i would prefer a diesel trans so you know you will have the lowest first gear. because unless you put a turbo on that 2.0....its a nutless pos.

personally i would upgrade to the m5odr1...unless you just bought a new shifter or plan to buy a new one...the shifters on these suk and finding a good used one is hard to do.

i recently upgraded my fm146...grenade.... for a m5od in my bronco. it is a direct swap for the 4x4, though depending on setup like mentioned the 2wd may require a different drive shaft.

i have done more trans swap then i care to remember for others...and with these things there are all kinds of potential issues that will kick you in the bean bag....

i dont remember changing driveshafts on my ol 87 2wd pos when i put a 95 trans in it. all i do is knock the roll pin out at the master to use the late style slave and line with the early gen 1 style master...its not rocket science...but with a 1000 year old master you will probably need to build a pin pusher. saving the square o ring can be a challenge:annoyed:...

but you would still have to have the internal slave master to use the m5od iirc because the tk5 master has a different volume. it pushes a fork...

that could cost allot more then its worth in both time and money if you cant get it all. the internal slave style have drawbacks.. usually the plastic quick disconnect is all fawked up unless you get lucky and it had a recent clutch job or something. the tk5 setup is better in that regard.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
They do have a removable bell, i forgot about that.

But i believe all TKs (even diesel) had the same 3.96:1 first.

I dont think they made a 2.0/4wd?? If they have i never seen one.

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with your TK? You sure its even shot?

Also, not tryin to sound like an ass, but there are garden tractor transaxles capable of handling the torque a 2.0 makes....i doubt your trans is tore up from anything but just miles.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Some people around automotive forums tend to think that anytime something old breaks its better to replace it with something new (current) regardless of how little benefit you may recieve.
IMO if you plan keeping the truck the M5 is the way to go. Much bigger parts supply and the trans is better to boot.

As far as a turn key drop it in and run it on the cheap... I would check into fixing the old one. Crack it open and see what you have. You already have a used trans, who says another used one would be any better?

I have more $$ invested in the input shaft, input shaft bearing and 3-4 synchro assembly than I paid for my whole unknown M5R2 at the JY. :dntknw:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
By that token whats to say the M5OD hes getting is any good? Then he'll have a trans hes gotta rebuild plus modify to put in.

Like i said, the 2.0 barely makes 100ftlbs, losing a bit of ratio on 1st gear is gonna hurt, and the original (im assuming) TK went 31 years. Thats plenty of service to trust another, or, rebuild his current one

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Um... Rusty, that same logic applies to the TK. Buying used is always a crap shoot. The difference is that he can get one that's 20 years newer and know that it's going to be rebuildable for years to come because it was sold in many times greater numbers. I do agree with opening up the current one to see if it's an easy fix. But for replacing it? Seeking another TK is lunacy.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
By that token whats to say the M5OD hes getting is any good? Then he'll have a trans hes gotta rebuild plus modify to put in.

Like i said, the 2.0 barely makes 100ftlbs, losing a bit of ratio on 1st gear is gonna hurt, and the original (im assuming) TK went 31 years. Thats plenty of service to trust another, or, rebuild his current one

odds. and availability.

the m5od will be available in the best shape and lowest miles...

if it is not....any yard you buy from with a warranty of any kind....WILL be able to rapidly locate and replace the unit if you install it and its noisy or fawked up in any way....

with the tk 5 you rely on luck that it was recently rebuiilt. the shifter is a cantankerous worn out pos on every one i have ever seen in a junk yard and its from the 80's and likely to be near the end of its service life and the lima was available till 2001....

so. if your planning on keeping the truck....go with the m5od. you can rip the guts out of any m5od to put in your case...you can add turbo later....no worries...or upgrade to a turbo 2.3 and at least have a trans thats worth freshening and easy to get parts for. and or convert it to 4x4 whenever you feel like it.. just gut a 3.0 4x4 carcass at the junkyard and your on it...

no matter what it is a bolt in swap....whether or not it is simply replacing the trans or a few extra ancillaries...(master/line/slave/cut hole a little bigger for shifter....drive shaft change..yada fawkin yada)

those things may already be at the end of their service life or will end up destroyed taking the trans out as well....so any difference could be moot...

to that...if the truck is a long term keeper its wise to renew all of that shit no matter what.

it is the best way to go. LONG TERM

2.0 diesel 4x4. seen them.... lots of guys convert the 4 cyl to 4x4 as well. with trucks this old you have to ask.

what the fawk would you do if someone bought my truck and was asking for help?

"what do you mean it has eight glow plugs?"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

30+ years of being shifted without the clutch, on original fluid/ran dry...

It would be a PITA it install it and find out it is bad, yards are still full of M5ODR1's for warranty though.

With my R2 it is so hard to find a V6 4x4 f-150 trans the warranty didn't really matter. It took me 5 years to turn one up and a year later I haven't came across another yet

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals