• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 28 Gears?

Sweet-85'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L 171CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!
Does anyone have a source for Dana 28 gears any more? I know the Dana 35 swap argument, but I don't off road much, if at all anymore, and can't justify the swap until I'd have more time to do it anyway. I want 4.10:1 or higher, but aftermarket support is almost non-existent at this point and I'm not having much luck at the junk yards. Thoughts?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
At junk yards your best bet is 4x4 2.3L powered Rangers, they should ALL have 4.10 gears, my '89 chassis had that in it... I wouldn't recommend going lower than 4.10 in a D28 though, they stopped making them because the pinion gear gets PUNY, not that I ever pulled the D28 I had apart but even the D35 isn't that big.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Years ago I had this thought, the aftermarket support for this axle is nearly nonexistent, you will be stuck with the factory gear ratio options and nothing else. I had a hard time even finding an install kit to do it ( I have it somewhere if you really really want it) I'm going to beat that dead horse a little bit more and suggest the D35 swap. the aftermarket is a bit more broad, aftermarket differential options are just about endless, and if you go with a 95-97 unit you will get much better brakes too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals