• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Temperature sender has wrong resistance

BobH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have an '89 Ranger with a 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine. I am trying to fix some dashboard gauges that don't work.

I tested the temperature gauge itself with several resistors and determined that it is operable. A manual and other sources I found say the temperature sending unit is supposed to provide 73 ohms resistance when the engine is cold and 9.7 ohms when hot. My tests indicate that, if the sending unit did that, the gauge would work correctly.

I bought a new sender, but that didn't help. It started at 167 ohms with the engine cold, and the resistance dropped only to 56 ohms with the engine warmed up. That's only enough to move the needle from below the C to just above it -- definitely not into the middle of the normal range.

All the parts suppliers have web pages that say their senders "fit your vehicle," but they don't list the resistance specs for those parts. It appears that all the parts that "fit" may work in some other vehicles but are not intended for the dashboard gauge in the '89 Ranger.

Do you have any suggestions for getting a compatible sending unit?

A bonus question: I have not looked into this fully, but a separate problem is that the power being supplied to the temperature sender, the oil-pressure sender (which is really a switch and not a sensor) and probably the fuel gauge is only about 6 volts, not 12. What would cause that?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't know about the Gen 2 stuff, but I know the Gen 1 dash the instruments were supposed to only get 5-6V. There was a piece of resistor wire that supplied their power.

As for the temp sender, I'd look and see if the catalogs are showing two different ones, one for a gauge, and one for a light. That could make a big difference.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
My Ranger has behaved like yours, and most other second gen 2.3L Rangers I've heard of do the same thing (look at the post history in the 4 cylinder area, there's a LOT of posts on the same thing). Honestly I just got used to it, if the needle stands straight up then there's a problem... yes it is annoying and yes it's been on the list just very low on the list...

I just did some resistor math but I'm sure a compromise could be made that would work although I didn't spend enough time playing with options to get there... With the math I did I came up with needing a 12 ohm resistor to get it reading right at operating temperature and a 130 ohm resistor to read right at cold, and that's with one leg of the resistor going to ground and one going to the output of the sender... If you added in a series resistor to this parallel circuit you MAY be able to find a balance, but then again the reading at operating temperature is the most important one so maybe around 12 ohm would be reasonable since there's not a temperature reading on the gauge...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals