• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R6 or F6 swap in '94 2wd ranger?

jcastilow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

I want to swap an R6 or F6 axle into a 94 2wd ranger. I've seen some mention that the 4wd axles have the leaf springs mounted under/over axle whereas the 2wd leaf springs are mounted the opposite - I can't remember which is which.

Can anyone with first hand experience tell me if an R6 axle will bolt directly into a 94 2wd ranger without redoing suspension mounts. If it won't, will the F6?

Ranger axle codes found here: https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/axles/ford-7-5-8-8-inch-axle-tag-door-codes/

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All rangers are spring over. The explorer is a spring under.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
The Ranger axle should swap.

The 4wd did have lift blocks, but if you look REAL close to them, you'll notice they're actually not perfectly rectangular and have different part numbers, and they're actually tapered to correct for the 2-ish inches of lift. So if you take those out the spring perches will still be at the correct angle.

The only thing to watch out for is flange/u-joint differences. The older models (Like 90 and older?) may have smaller flange patterns or u-joints. Easy to fix, the locating circle on the flange is the same, so you just mark and drill out the correct hole spacing, they only serve to clamp, so they don't need to be super critical. Or get a conversion joint. And again, only if you happen to get an older axle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals