• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Overdrive issue

CoastalAggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So about 6 months ago i bought my 01 ranger with 349000 miles on it. its in fairly decent condition given its age and mileage and it runs smooth and quiet. the only problem i have so far is that the overdrive on/off switch doesnt seem to work.(no light comes on and rpms stay the same when pressing it) i talked to the guy i bought it from and he said he only ever used it with small trailers short distances that didnt warrant turning overdrive off so he didnt know anything about it not working. Well i now have access to a boat to use whenever i want and would like to be able to turn overdrive off for when i tow it. I am at a loss for how to start troubleshooting this issue and would appreciate any insight as to where to begin. also is it even necessary for me to bother fixing this/whats the most i could theoretically tow while still in overdrive?

(the boat really isnt very heavy, maybe 1000 lbs total with trailer so pulling it across town isnt really an issue while driving under 45. my concern is if i need to take it on the highway or for if i end up pulling heavier trailers.)

Also i know there was transmission work done 100k miles ago but have no idea if the issue could be related to this.I believe an overhaul/rebuild but the paperwork i got on the job was fairly vague so im not sure.

CoastalAggie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I forgot to mention i have checked thefuses already and didn't find any burnt out, like i said everything else still works perfectly fine except the overdrive on/off.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Overdrive on/off is done in the PCM(computer), if off the Overdrive ratio is not activated by the PCM
This is done by pin 29 on the PCM getting 12v pulse then 0volts, so its a momentary contact switch
With key on the PCM is reset to Overdrive On every time

If button is pressed once OD is switched off, and dash light(OD OFF) should come on, this is done by PCM not the switch, there is no connection between OD OFF light and the switch.

If switch is pressed again then PCM will go back to OD on, or if key is turned off and on, PCM will go back to OD on

The OD switch is called the TCS(transmission control switch), Ford also added a Traction Control Switch in later years, lol, so it can come up on searches, just FYI

Anyway, in 2001 Fuse #2 in cab fuse box powers the OD(TCS) switch, it's a 10amp fuse, pull it out and swap it or test it with ohm meter

Looking at a fuse tells you one thing only, its amp rating, not if its good or bad

If fuse is good then you have a wiring issue

From this fuse to steering column connector is a Purple/orange stripe wire, should have 12volts here with key on
From steering column connector to Pin 29 on PCM is a Tan/white stripe wire

The wires at the switch have "no color indicated" meaning wire colors inside the column can be any color

But you can test the switch by looking at the connector and seeing which wires the Purple and Tan wires connect to
Then use an OHM Meter between those 2 wires and press the TCS button, should go from HIGH ohms, or n/c, to 0 ohms(good connection) each time you press the button, if not then wires in the column or the switch is bad

And just a general heads up, the OD OFF light is also used by the PCM if there is a transmission issue.
If a solenoid or ratio issue happens then PCM will flash the OD light on the dash, so similar to the CEL(check engine light) but for transmission problems, and it will Flash not come on and stay on.
And Flashing OD light will often mean a transmission code has been set, they are in the P07XX range

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Just to expand on what RonD said (like that really needs expansion).
On our Ford fleet at work, we've found 2 common issues with the O/D switch...
1. The switch bezel falls off. (This is purely cosmetic and won't cause any issue, but it is the most common issue we see. Our drivers are animals that damage everything they put their paws on.)

2. The harness from the shifter stalk likes to rub on everything inside the steering column and wear through the wires. Pull the plastic cover off the column and check the wires about 1-2" from where they exit the shifter.

I've only see 2 bad switches on the hundreds of Fords we have, it's usually a wiring issue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals