• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Bellhousing ID

Appaloosa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello,
I have a 1987 ranger 4x4 with 2.9 v6 and fm 145 transmission. I am wanting to convert my worn 2.9 to a 2.3 Lima. My 2.9 is not ready to give up yet so over the last couple years I have been gathering up parts for the conversion. The question I have is, I bought a 2.3 Bellhousing thinking it would bolt up to my fm 145 but the seller could not tell me what trans it was attached to. How can I be sure it will fit the 145 and is not for the Toyo koygo trans? Thanks for the help

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My first question would be "why" and secondly, who knows what that bellhousing could have come from. 2.3's were used in a lot of other vehicles - Pintos, Mustang II's, Courier, fox body Mustang, etc.

I think there only good way to know for sure is to see if it bolts up to your transmission or if there is a part number on it, maybe you can find some reference to where it came from.

Just from personal experience (and I am a HUGE 2.3 fan...) I think you are going to be disappointed with the 2.3's performance vs your current engine. It is a big downgrade. You are also going to be using a trans that was not known for its reliability. I guess if I had access to all the parts needed at virtually no cost, I'd do that swap too but if you have any money involved you're better off doing a 4.0 swap.

Appaloosa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I forgot to mention in the earlier post that the Bellhousing is from a ranger. 2x4 or 4x4 I'm not sure. I appreciate your advice but the extra power is just not a very high priority. If I needed my truck to be more versatile I would go 4.0, they are great motors. Definitely better than the 2.9. I have a Dodge diesel to pull with and a 76 f-150 4x4 swb for a fun truck so I'm really only interested in reliability and mpgs which I think the 2.3 will give me. I also agree that the fm 145 is not the greatest but I do not drive the truck hard at all and I change the fluid frequently. I am hoping to find an m5od eventually but figured if I could get a Bellhousing to get through a couple years before I go to the trouble and cost of a transmission swap that would be nice. As a 2.3 owner when you say disappointed with the performance are you referring to the power or the fuel economy? Near as I can tell the 2.3 does consistently better on fuel than the v6's. Have you found that to be true with yours?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The three 2.3's I've had - an '88, a '93, and a '96 all topped out at about 20. My current '88 gets about 15-16 in the winter, 18-20 in the summer. It is a 4x4 short box. Mostly stock truck too, just has 235-75-15's for tires and 3.73 gears. Engine has 30k since overhaul and is bored 30 over but otherwise also stock.

For power they are OK but a stiff wind will really hurt. Often I find that I can't hold 4th gear up slight inclines in a mild wind. 5th gear is just about useless if you're not going downhill.

My 2.9 trucks maxed out at 25mpg. I have seen 26mpg in my Explorer (once.) Even the 2.9's have enough power to keep up on the highway and the 4.0's just flat out rip. It's all about power to weight, however gears in a 4 cylinder will be your best friend. I think 3.73's at a bare minimum and/or small tires are a necessity.

2.3's are pretty reliable, IMO probably one of the more reliable engines Ford made...up there with the 300 six and a few others but they don't make much power without adding a turbo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals