• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Grinding & banging downshifting?

djh96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My 96 x-cab, 3.0L, 5spd, 4x4 Ranger started Grinding when letting off the clutch only when I downshift @ higher speeds, or Violently jerks & bangs downshifting @ lower speeds & when I let off the accelerator.
It's got auto lock hubs & electronic shift 4wh drive. I jacked up each front corner & turned the tires individually... axles aren't turning.
I jacked up the whole truck and put it in gear... front axle is not live in 2wh drive. Put it in 4h... OK, 4l... OK (slow to engage).
The hubs do have the typical clicking in them... not too bad.
The truck upshifts fine, clutch engages fine but does have a slight "clunk" when putting it into gear.
Any ideas? I've got a good working knowledge of autos, but 4 wheel drive is new to me. Does this sound like a tranny prob or transfer case prob.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
if it is hard to get into reverse or first when at a stop, sounds kinda like you have a clutch master/slave hydraulics problem, like possibly air in the system. Is the reservoir full?

i am also guessing tranny problem.

djh96ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem into gear

Thanks for getting back to me.
There is no problem getting it into any gear. It's almost as if the 4wh drive isn't fully disengaged?
I will check the resevoir though.

piotrsko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
83-85/86/87/88
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
11" KOSTOV 192V
Transmission
Manual
another guess for the transfer case not disengaging would be to go underneath and manually move the 4wd lever on the transfer case, if it is still present.

Sorry, I only have experience on 1st gen rangers with borg warner 13- series TC.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals