• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What direction to go?

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I recently purchased my Ranger to replace my '05 F150 4x4 I had, well i bought the truck knowing that the engine had problems but it runs fine at the moment and still in the process of getting the info on how bad it is to fix or replace.

If the engine is bad, i'm considering swapping to a 5.0 engine and either keeping it a 2wd or turn it into a 4x4.... I have a set of axle's ( dana 60 & 10.25 ) that I was going to throw under my '85 Bronco, but may use them under this truck and sell the bronco. Starting to like the A/C and power w&l, and not having to shift in florida traffic. I like a manual, but in a truck it isn't as fun for me.

Still not sure on what doner vehicle to get, I've read that a '96 up 5.0 Explorer would work out great if I could find one, or maybe a Bronco/F150/Mustang:icon_confused:. I'd like to keep it an auto, so thats a plus for me. Also I know i'll need a 4x4 to have a tranny that works with the transfer case if i go that route, and most likely a body lift to help fitment of the tranny...:dunno:...

Truck will be used as a daily driver for a few years, but I plan to have it my main hunting truck after i finish college...in about 3 years...after that I plan to buy into an all electric car for daily driving for work and such.

You guys have any idea's for me???? Its been hard to choose for me on how i should take this build.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure if it's needed, but I always enjoy pics when I open a thread :icon_bounceblue:

So here's a pic of my Ranger that i'm talking about.

and

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well if you can find a wrecked explorer 5.0L awd or 4x4 and get the engine tranny t case and axles you could have a pretty sweet truck.

Grey_04

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
that looks like a really good start, i wish i could find a cap like that here in pa. I've been looking but unless you buy new they are pretty beat for the price.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well if you can find a wrecked explorer 5.0L awd or 4x4 and get the engine tranny t case and axles you could have a pretty sweet truck.
Found a '97 Explorer 5.0 awd selling for $750 w/220k miles, but its a good drive away from me and the tranny is bad. Can i really use the awd transfer case to engage into 2wh and 4wh/4wl?

that looks like a really good start, i wish i could find a cap like that here in pa. I've been looking but unless you buy new they are pretty beat for the price.
The cap is in pretty good shape, a few dings in the doors but thats about it. The truck was used for a company that fixed medical supplies, so it wasn't abused as much like in a construction business. I've been planing on fixing it up to camp with after I move to Ga.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
No. There is no selection on the transfer case in a stock 5.0 Explorer. It is always engaged in AWD mode. No 4x2, 4x4 or 4x4 low selection switch. You could put a different transfer case behind the transmission though, it uses the standard Ford mounting pattern.

Ranger Kip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Fleet
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Confused and Intolerant
4wd o the bronco, you need a toy too, this is a work truck and the 4wd will just add more weight =P

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
4wd o the bronco, you need a toy too, this is a work truck and the 4wd will just add more weight =P
That crossed my mind, but moving to another state with one less vehicle to tow/ship up would be much easier. Plus the tranny in the Bronco is the o/d version so its not the strongest style available from back then. I love the truck, but its got alot to upgrade for me to be happy with it i think.

:icon_idea: Maybe if I just plan on a 5.0 swap and later convert to a 4x4.......that would save a lot of work for the time being.....

All depending on how long this engine holds out.....may last me longer than i'm thinking it will. Although the Ford dealership said it had 0% compression on # 1 and 20% on #4. But i'm guesing the guy didn't tell me the truth, he only did a diagnostic test on the invoice and wrote the compression #'s on it for me..... IDK, its hard to trust people when they quote a 3-5k bill to replace an engine and only give a writen info on a document with no test verifications on it..... Fella's at Autozone said that there would almost never be a 0% compression rating.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals