• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Can/should axles from a (literally) burnt out f-250 be used?

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
I recently came accross and newer f250 (07-09??) on its roof and completely burnt = FREE 3/4 TON AXLES!!!!!! So apparantly in Fort McMurray, stealing new trucks and burning them in the woods is what all the cool kids are doin...

so the front is pretty f'd, the truck must've burnt right-side-up cause the axle tubes are def bowed. the rear axle looks in better shape ie, not bowed out too much or at all.

Is it retarded to try and salvage these axles for my trail rig? All's I'd need is seals, bearings, new brake calipers, anything else that would've burned/melted, right?

for the front is it foolish to even think about replacing the axle tubes (maybe axle shafts?) and rebuild the axle?

I fell stupid for even asking about it, but FREE(ish) 3/4 TON AXLES have got me thinkin crazy!

ThatGuy

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If it got that hot I'd pass

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
If the truck was stolen, should it not be reported? The insurance company/dealership will most likely want it back.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
take her to the scrap yard...

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
haha, not the optimistic response's i was hopin for...

as for legality, i'm sure from the 1 1/2 foot of snow on it, i'm sure all the paperwork's been done by the appropriate parties and the wrecker's gonna be pickin it up in the spring, so i don't think i'm robbin anyone

I think i'm gonna head out with an oxy-acetylene torch next weekend either way... an hour or so with the ol fire-axe is worth gettin em back to my garage for closer inspection.

found out the front is a d60 and the rear is a sterling 10.5. been doin a bit of internetting on re-tubing and it doesn't seem hard at all.

except for the axle tubes and meltable parts, what else could be non-repairable?

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
<
<<
<<<
<<<<
<<<<< Just look at this poor little guy... He's cryin out for full width axles and 40's.

or maybe that's just my d35 voicing his concerns about bein killed by 37's this summer!!

Last edited:

rickf92592

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Probably not what you want to hear but;
You might want to go to the trouble of asking the owner if it is okay, they do not belong to you.
If they are on your property you may have a valid claim to them.
I'm sure if you ask you'll probably get permission.
If you leave your front door open it does not make it okay for someone to come in and take your stuff.
Structurally the housings should be fine for your use, I wouldn't put them under a SuperDuty.
I wouldn't trust any part on there that depends on temper for its strength except for maybe the axles because the lube probably insulated them a bit.

GMillion$

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
pair a 94's
Make / Model
FoMoCo
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the answer rick. i think any re-used parts will be plenty strong for my intended use.

I probably should've explained that the truck is a rental unit that would have been leased by one of the millions of mining/surveying/rando support companies here in the oil patch. i have no idea how/why it ended up where it is, but i'm sure that it is not missed and has already been through the system and replaced.

There are soooo many white, base model 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks with magnetic company logos on the doors and rental stickers on the tailgates up here, it's nuts.

That being said, you certainly have a point. This truck isn't mine and i have absoloutley no right to the axles on it.
but if if it were someone's personal vehicle and i thought that i would be inconviencing anybody by taking the axles, then i would certainly attempt to contact that person before any "extractions".

As it stands right now, the only thing i could be stealing is the scrap weight of the axles from my local auto wrecker. Those guys are pretty much the worst sort of people anyway, so i definetly don't have any qualms there.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
can't you get in trouble for taking parts? i herd of a guy in my area that got in trouble for that and the owner of the car said that he was last one to touch the car...he stole the whole car

yyc_tbird_sc

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't touch that truck until you have written permission from the RCMP and the insurance company. Trust me....you could be in a world of trouble if you don't. The truck doesn't belong to you, and until you get permission...it'd be theft and possibly interfering with an investigation if the RCMP have an interest in the truck.

Remember...you've posted your intent online where everyone else has seen it now, and there is a good record of it too.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
This is just like when people come on asking about how to bypass/cut off their CAT converter. We cant say how to do it due to it being illegal to take them off and its a federal law to have them on. You do stuff like that at your own risk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals