• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The 2.5 Swap Has Begun!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well instead of going to work today I decided to go ahead and swap out my engine because the old one is starting to misfire randomly pretty bad due to uneven cylinder compression I think.

Either way, I've definitely gotten my moneys worth out of that old engine. It has 360,000-370,000 miles on it and believe it or not still runs decent but don't want to break down anywhere you know? It's got oil leaking from the intake where the valve cover connects to the air cleaner assembly and also from the oil dipstick tube. Up top!

Basically a lot of high mileage engine problems plaugue this old motor so it's time for a swap. Here's the 2.5 pretty much cleaned up from the pressure washer and I'm about to pull the Ranger up to the garage to start pulling it.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Allen

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok well as I'm waiting for the driveway to dry from the water I rinsed it with I'm posting up the progress so far.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
I pretty much have everything disconnected now and just need to crawl under the Ranger to unbolt the motor mounts, bellhousing bolts, and exhaust.

I'm just going to be using the 2.5 block as far as I can tell. Does anyone know if I can pull the engine without the tranny being out? Thanks

Allen

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
the engine can be pulled with the tranny being stationary, stick a ratchet strap over the top of the frame rails and under the tranny, hook the hooks to the bottom of the frame, that should suspend it just fine, that's what I did when I pulled my engine.

the top two bellhousing bolts are easiest from the top I believe, they're a pain no matter how you do it though... never tried it with A/C before, somaybe easiest from the bottom...

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, well the motor is in! Thanks scotts90ranger!

I just started it without the accessories hooked up but made sure it had oil in it. It was knocking/ticking really bad so I'm hoping it's just because it's been sitting for a while and it will go away after driving it a bit.

I've got everything on except for the A/C compressor so wish me luck. I'll be back in a bit with more pics too! I'm wondering if I need the 2.5 computer? Thanks

Allen

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Pretty sweet!

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's some pics but I've got a serious problem here. The engine has a clack sound under acceleration and there is blow-by coming out of the oil dipstick tube pretty badly. What causes this?

It seems like there is too much crankcase pressure. How did this happen?

[/IMG]
This is what was on the 2.5 block and I replaced it with my temp gauge sensor.
[/IMG]
Looks pretty clean inside I must say.
[/IMG]
Tubular header.

What could be causing this problem? It seems like the engine is REALLY hot as well. The spout where the upper radiator hose connects to is different on these two engines. The 2.5 has two coolant temp sensors there and my 2.3 only had one. Problem? Thanks

Allen

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like ,if you have pressure coming out of the dipstick,that you are having ring blowby,cracked piston.How long did this motor set before you bought it?It may be just the rings are stuck.Try putting in some Marvel Mystery oil,alot of time,this will loosen up stuck rings.Do a compression test

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, I actually got it to stop doing that. It runs great now but I'm having another problem. I keep breaking timing belt tensioners. I think it's because I'm putting too much tension on the tensioner while I'm tightening it though. Should have it fixed here in a couple hours.

I found that my PCV valve was clogged and I had two plug wires crossed, which I'm assuming was causing the first problem. It's gone now.

Allen

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
you don't need to put any pressure on the tensioner when you tighten it,just let it go against it

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks 4b316, but after destroying two of them I did what you said and it's been fine so far. I have another issue now though.....again. Will it ever end? I'll start a new thread in 4-bangers.

Allen

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals