• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Opinions on off-road shocks?

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

I’m planning on lifting my ’84 2.3L Ranger 4x4 with a modest 2” lift.

2” spacers up front, camber bushings - 2” Belltech 6400 (or similar) rear shackles.

I will also be replacing some bushings front and back, with polyurethane ones; the vehicle has been sitting for some years…

I will be upgrading from my OEM shocks as well, and would like some opinions on what ones to go with.

I would really like to go with Bilstein’s as I am familiar with their quality but it doesn’t look like they offer anything for a 2” lift; just stock, then 4” and up.

So I have been trying to decide between 3 different brands, 7 different shocks-

1. James Duff’s 70/30 auto-adjust shocks as they claim they are specifically designed for Ford Bronco’s and RBV’s…

2. Skyjacker Nitro 8000’s, because they are around the same price with the rebate they have going on right now. I have never run SJ before, however I have heard bad things about them, along with Pro Comp (mainly from jeep guys)…

3. Because I would really like to go with Bilstein’s, I am also really considering the new mono-tube Skyjacker M95’s as it looks like they are offered in the same sizes as the hydro’s and nitro’s are.

The only other shocks I was looking into were by Doetsch Tech who focuses on off-road and Rangers…

4. DT3000

5. Pre-runner 8000

6. Nitrogen gas 9000

7. Baja Ryder’s

Has anyone had any experience with any of these shocks? I would really like to hear what everyone has to say, and suggestions, especially you hard core off-road guys. :icon_thumby:

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
In my 87 in the rear i have explorer springs and 6400 shackles I am running Bilstein F4-BE5-6249-H5. that is what Bilstein recommended with the measurements gave them.
I love them, i cant wait to get some fronts in.
I have used procomps and hate them, rancho's 5000 great for a heavy rig, way to stiff in a ranger

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Swap in f350 shock mounts (I have a pair that you could buy ) and then you can run longer shocks. I would get bilstiens

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
In my 87 in the rear i have explorer springs and 6400 shackles I am running Bilstein F4-BE5-6249-H5. that is what Bilstein recommended with the measurements gave them.
I love them, i cant wait to get some fronts in.
I have used procomps and hate them, rancho's 5000 great for a heavy rig, way to stiff in a ranger
Yeah, I’ve heard bad things about Pro Comp from various friends and sources, and personally do not like Ranchos either, so I'm not considering either of them really. The only bad things I’ve heard about Skyjacker, I read on the internet, mainly from Jeep guys, but I am still considering them because I have also read good things…

What lift setup are you running up front?

Running a 2” lift, Bilstein offers the 5100’s in the proper dimensions for the rear, however they don’t make 5100’s with the proper dimensions for the front end, they are all too tall.

Swap in f350 shock mounts (I have a pair that you could buy ) and then you can run longer shocks. I would get bilstiens
Haha, that would be pretty cool. I’d like to look into it a bit more but I’ll keep you in mind, thank you for the suggestion.

I decided that im prolly gunna skip on the f 250 shock mounts and just get the shocks for 2inches of lift. My question is though what shocks should i get cause im gunna need the kind that mount with that pin deal on top.
Just out of curiosity, what shock did you end up going with here?

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Bilsteins can be had in any length you need, go to shockwarehousing.com and look up which on you need and they come in different valving too if you wanna run duals or singles.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Bilsteins can be had in any length you need, go to shockwarehousing.com and look up which on you need and they come in different valving too if you wanna run duals or singles.
this..
you won't beat bilsteins... spend the money now and get the right shocks. use f250 shock towers. there's an article in the tech library about them. :icon_thumby:

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
this..
you won't beat bilsteins... spend the money now and get the right shocks. use f250 shock towers. there's an article in the tech library about them. :icon_thumby:
for $90 a piece they are hard to beat for a shock that does everything pretty good....won't get that from a $30 rancho or skyjacker shock thats for sure

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
for $90 a piece they are hard to beat for a shock that does everything pretty good....won't get that from a $30 rancho or skyjacker shock thats for sure
def won't get it from the cheap rough country ones... i'll be so glad when i replace my shocks!

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Sweet, thanks man. I was just trying to compare (unsuccessfully) on the Bilsten website.

this..
I agree, Bilstein’s are the shit. Have had good experience with them, they are about the only brand my friends run.

Thank you for pointing me towards the tech library. Once I was there, I remembered I had read that article before, but for some reason thought it only applied to lifts bigger than 2”. It looks like a inexpensive mod that will give some pretty good results.

Yeah, you are right man… You get what you pay for (for the most part…)

When my funds permit me to, I’d rather spend a little more the first time to do it right, then get by and be disappointed with the decision I made…

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a suburban with rancho's and on that truck they were stiff. Can't imagine how'd they be on a ranger. Avoid them unless you really really need them, even then don't get rancho shocks.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I am running skyjacker level coils in front. I have the junk procomp. I am wanting to change out as funds come in.
I sure can feel the differance when I go over a bump the front feels like a hard hit if I don't slow down. The back goes over really smooth.
Don't let the cost get in your way well worth it.
When I get the fronts in I can wait to hit the backroads.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't lol, plans changed a lot. A dana 60 is going in the front and I am building shock hoops

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't lol, plans changed a lot. A dana 60 is going in the front and I am building shock hoops. Probably going to run a resi shock

DrewNukesEm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I had a suburban with rancho's and on that truck they were stiff. Can't imagine how'd they be on a ranger. Avoid them unless you really really need them, even then don't get rancho shocks.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
:agree:

I am running skyjacker level coils in front. I have the junk procomp. I am wanting to change out as funds come in.
I sure can feel the differance when I go over a bump the front feels like a hard hit if I don't slow down. The back goes over really smooth.
Don't let the cost get in your way well worth it.
When I get the fronts in I can wait to hit the backroads.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
Are you thinking about using the F-250 shock mounts?

I didn't lol, plans changed a lot. A dana 60 is going in the front and I am building shock hoops. Probably going to run a resi shock
Haha, hell yeah dude. That will be awesome for sure. I’ll be interested in how that turns out!

Thanks again about the F-250 shock mount suggestion. Are the F-350 mounts you said you have the same as the F-250's? Are they new?

With the F-250 shock mounts, is a limiting strap of some sort necessary to make sure the spring doesn’t come out during maximum flex?

Would they be overkill for a 2" lift? :icon_confused:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals