Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
basketranger

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Errands
basketranger is on a distinguished road
Default drivrline jerking in o.d.

with o.d. active and anything but heavy throttle it feels as if the transmission is unable to decide what gear to be in. truck has 176,xxx miles predominately highway miles, running 100% gas, had been getting up to 20.8 mpg now down to low 19's.
the other issues currently experiencing: ticking under light load (not at idle).
My Question: with no check engine lights and fluid level correct (and not burnt), where should i start. A trusted friend said it will be a fluid pressure problem, looks like there are multiple solenoids/regulators could easily spend over $500.00 dollars just replacing solenoids/regulators. appears to be the 4r70 trans. ('07 Supercrew, short 1/2 ton short box 18" wheels):
basketranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 10-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
Transman304

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Honda
Vehicle Model: Accord
My credo: If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Transman304 will become famous soon enoughTransman304 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a lock up problem with the torque converter. Alot of engine sensors have a bearing on lock up strategy. And you have no OD light flashing on the shifter? Need to get it to a shop with the proper scanner and software to read transmission codes. You will have a pending code or something in history codes.

"If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem"
Transman304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
basketranger

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Errands
basketranger is on a distinguished road
Default pulled the trigger

replace plugs, and coil packs (Accel). Bucking, jerking, transmission issue is now resolved all thanks to tune-up.
NOTE: bucking, jerking was happening between 45 and 55 m.p.h. acted like an o.d. sensor was messing up, and fuel economy finally went to hell (10 - 11 m.p.g.). used Lucas fuel treatment heavy the last 4 tanks then used a can of Seafoam to inject thru the brake booster vacuum line. Started pulling coil packs let everything set for roughly 1.5 hrs with penetrating oil then started disassembly used anti seize on plugs. test drove all is good.
basketranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
IMenriched

Vehicle Year: 1986 02'
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger f150 fx4
I use this vehicle for: exercise and DD & hauling college kids stuff
IMenriched is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketranger View Post
replace plugs, and coil packs (Accel). Bucking, jerking, transmission issue is now resolved all thanks to tune-up.
NOTE: bucking, jerking was happening between 45 and 55 m.p.h. acted like an o.d. sensor was messing up, and fuel economy finally went to hell (10 - 11 m.p.g.). used Lucas fuel treatment heavy the last 4 tanks then used a can of Seafoam to inject thru the brake booster vacuum line. Started pulling coil packs let everything set for roughly 1.5 hrs with penetrating oil then started disassembly used anti seize on plugs. test drove all is good.
the Accel COPs maybe the issue...Accel is not known for very long life in these modern modular engines. A fresh set of plugs was a good move, but you might be better getting MC set of cops or Denso.

with the old plugs your fuel trims were most likely out of wack a bit...now with the fresh "tune up" the sensors seeing something different. I would remove the battery cable for about a half hour and then reattach. I think this should reset things as far as fuel trims. This still may take a couple of tanks to improve things.
Did you clean the MAF sensor? how about a fresh air filter or fuel filter?

2 are willing to die for you.
one is a soldier, but the 1st was Jesus Christ
~few appreciate either~
IMenriched is offline   Reply With Quote