• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 460 issues....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Swap the turbo to the 2000 .85:1 turbo and use a CX racing intercooler and it will drag that 32’ camper into oncoming traffic to pass that Prius like a sports car.... but vortech says they can do the same with a 460
My 460 even stock can jerk it around like its not there. Even at 65mph in 3rd its got plenty left.

A diesel would be nice for the added mpg though, and im sure down in the mountains it would peform much better.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
My 460 even stock can jerk it around like its not there. Even at 65mph in 3rd its got plenty left.

A diesel would be nice for the added mpg though, and im sure down in the mountains it would peform much better.
Dude, you got no idea..... with only swapping to the later model quicker spooling turbo and CX racing intercooler and a maxcool stacked plate transmission cooler my 96 dually would drag my 12,000 lb 5th wheel through the big hills out west like they were flat. I got 12 mpg running mostly 70mph.....
And that was a simple mod..... but I’m a diesel guy, you’re not. The 460 is a good towing engine..... if it does what you need it to do then I would stick with it. Don’t fix something that ain’t broke.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals