• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

power steering pump

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
Just some looking for info on changing out my Power steering pump on my 02' f150 4x4 hopefully before snow flies.:icon_thumby:
Anyway, I think/ pretty sure I need 3A674(STP-86-RM) , but I also see that STP-130RM may work too.... so my question is which is right and what is the difference??? Does it matter?

Well and also, how big of a chore is it to change one out? Getting the drive pulley swapped seems to be one of the top hemorrhoids :shok:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
SO 3A674 is a base number, and doesn't tell you much of anything aside from "it's a power steering pump".

I am not sure what the exact differences are between the two parts you posted, but the only thing I can remember is that on some years the pump is held by four bolts, other years it's only three. Shouldn't affect fitment if you use one or the other.

Changing a Triton engine's PS pump is not what I would call fun, but it isn't terrible. The worst part is the pulley. The bolts can usually be accessed pretty easily through the wheel well with long extensions.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
SO 3A674 is a base number, and doesn't tell you much of anything aside from "it's a power steering pump".

I am not sure what the exact differences are between the two parts you posted, but the only thing I can remember is that on some years the pump is held by four bolts, other years it's only three. Shouldn't affect fitment if you use one or the other.

Changing a Triton engine's PS pump is not what I would call fun, but it isn't terrible. The worst part is the pulley. The bolts can usually be accessed pretty easily through the wheel well with long extensions.
hey thanks for the reply. I'll look things over more closely before I start and double check the mounts. I was suspicious it wasn't easy....but doable.

IMenriched

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02'
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 5.4
Transmission
Automatic
sucess

well about a month ago I did get the PS pump swapped out.

The bigger chore was getting the new high pressure hose to start back into the steering gear box. If I had to do it again I probably would remove the fan and the shroud ....just for a bit more room to work.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals