• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Other temp switch options for volvo fan swap?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would recommend making sure you have a new temperature switch and new relays.

When the thermostat closes, the upper hose will stay hot longer than the lower one. Without flow, the water in the radiator will begin to separate. Hotter water rising to the top and colder water falling to the bottom.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
put the sensor in the heater or bypass line. problem there is sometimes the t stat gets suck from lack of exercise.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
There's always the DC Controls option if you want to spend some money. Stone cold reliable from what I've read, plus soft start so there's no jolt to the electrical system every time it kicks on.

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Thanks again guys.

Eric, I totally get what you're saying. Makes sense. I bought an OEM Volvo relay and an OEM BMW switch to swap for my used Volvo relay and cheap aftermarket switch. When these arrive I will install the relay and the new switch into the upper radiator hose where my old one currently is, and see what changes, if any occur. I have a feeling that I will end up moving the switch to the heater/bypass hose

Will let you all know. I can't thank you all enough for your help and suggestions. Its been a great setup so far and once the bugs are worked out I will be very pleased!

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
I just installed the new Volvo relay since that arrived today and I wanted to see what difference it would make independent of the switch.

So, with the old relay, the fan used to kick on right about when my temp gauge said cold, and would basically stay on indefinitely. Though the first time I ever tested this setup, even with the old relay, it kicked on when my temp gauge was around the middle.

With the new relay, the fan kicked on a little under halfway up the gauge, which seems more sensible, and the first time it kicked the fan on, the fan only ran for about 20 seconds, which seems totally correct.

However, the second time the fan kicked on, it stayed on indefinitely like it did with the old relay. While I like the peace of mind of having a brand new OEM Volvo relay in there, and its possible the old one was sticking sometimes, I think the switch is still mostly the problem.

Will update again when the new OEM BMW temp switch comes

cstarbard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
It do like it be
Problem finally solved!

My put a new OEM BMW switch in, as well as a new OEM Volvo relay as I mentioned before. No changes whatsoever- fan was still staying on far longer than it seemed like it should. basically would not shut off once first being kicked on.

The actual problem, the symptoms of which made me suspect the temp switch, was in fact ridiculously simple and I feel dumb for overlooking it. I have a separate universal 12V relay on the fused power wire, before the Volvo 2 speed relay, as an extra safety measure. Well, this fuse was sticking/bad. I totally forgot I put this relay there until I had done everything else, and I replaced it with an OEM Ford 12v relay- what do you know, fan kicks on and off exactly where you'd expect, and stays on for about 2 minutes max.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions, I'm embarrassed that all along it was this simple

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals