• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ignition lock cylinder 95 Ranger

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Excuse the language frustrated with Fords right now. Took old ignition lock cylinder out and try to install the new one. Doesn’t seat all the way. Try putting old one back in seats all the way but doesn’t allow me to start the truck. What am I doing wrong. Pin is pushed down and all lined up. Have a video but can’t upload somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

No secret method for this
Maybe part of the old cylinder is not coming out, broken off

The end of the cylinder turns a geared rod that runs down the steering column, the rod slides the ignition switch(under steering column) into its 4 positions, ACC, OFF, RUN, START

Cylinder seen here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/02sAAOSwLEtYgXhE/s-l640.jpg

If tip broke off then you will need to get it out to install new cylinder

New cylinder will of course need new keys, but a locksmith can often re-pin a cylinder to work with the old keys, so you will have same key for ignition and door locks

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
What’s weird the key turns but won’t turn to start the truck. It’s a manual ranger. Goes to ACC and back off. Put old cylinder back in and does the exact same thing as the new one. I’ve tried to start the truck with a screw driver to get home but no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Does the steering wheel still Lock when key is in ACC or OFF position?

The actuator rod may be broken which is not an easy fix, not technical just alot of wrench work, steering wheel has to come off

Picture of part of actuator rod: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/j-wAAOSwiZVbffwg/s-l300.jpg
On the key part there is a gear, when you turn the key the gear slides the rods teeth up or down the column sliding ignition switch into its 4 positions
If the gear or rods teeth are damaged then it can't slide ignition switch
Steering wheel lock also uses actuator rod movement, it may or may not be effected

If you want to get truck started to move it then you can pull out ignition switch, above brake pedal, and slide it into position manually, to start it and then to shut it off, unhook battery after shut off

Video here on getting at ignition switch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3I2oye8OpQ

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals