Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > 4-bangers > 4-Cylinder (2000 & Older)

Notices

Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
gcaiola

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: everything
gcaiola is on a distinguished road
Default finally back to this....(where & how to remove fuel hoses from fuel supply manifold)

Since I have a spare car for now I let this slip the past couple of months. But finally back to it. I was convinced the issue was caused by a gasket leak--valve cover and/or lower intake manifold--based on oil residue on part of engine block, as well as other info and input. Now I am up to my elbows ...and maybe stuck.

The valve cover and upper intake manifold are removed. I am trying to remove lower intake manifold, but to do that I must remove the 2 fuel hoses connecting to the "fuel supply manifold" (fuel rail) mounted to top of lower intake manifold. The rubber hoses extends almost to main fuel rail on both fittings, with no special clamp or disconnect securing it--see photo here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEKTxMbLcYLVmfrx5

I tried twisting the hoses just near the ends you see in photo, and I can a bit but don't think I can remove them without damaging the hose as it's old and hardened (so what would keep it secure when i try to re-install later?). I assume the other end of those fuel hoses i's a few feet away somewhere under engine or chassis. Seem unlikely I should disconnect far away from manifold and have a few feet of fuel hose (x 2) dangling off the fuel manifold as I pull it out. That would probably cause more problems/stress/cracking with the old rubber on fuel hoses also.

Any guidance on where to disconnect these fuel hoses and how to do it without destroying them?
gcaiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 11-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
zekew64

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Everything under the sun
zekew64 is on a distinguished road

First, your fuel rail is connected to your fuel filter st the driver's side inside frame rail. The lines have a quick-disconnect fitting for both lines (high-pressure, and return). To remove the fuel rail, disconnect both lines and remove the two bolts on the intake manifold (2 10mm bolts, IIFR).

For your main problem, sounds like a blown head gasket. Do a compression test and see what the compression in #3 is. If it is extremely low, then a blown head gasket or leaking valves are the most obvious causes - because either the head gasket or valve seats are letting compression pressure leak past them. At the least, removal of the head to look at both the valve seats and the head gasket should be done. And it is not that hard to do.
zekew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:01 AM   #13
gcaiola

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger Splash
I use this vehicle for: everything
gcaiola is on a distinguished road

Thanks for info, zekew68. Sounds like there's no other connection in fuel hose between fuel filter and manifold. That's kinda what I was wondering. I guess that means I need to remove hoses right at connection to manifold.

This sounds silly but I'm hesitant to remove hoses there because I am unsure how to find a suitable replacement for them--since I'm pretty sure they will be trashed afterwards (due to age/brittle/cracking). I am honestly surprised there is no clip/clamp at the manifold side to keep them secured on. Again, refer to link of photo of hoses coming into fuel manifold:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EEKTxMbLcYLVmfrx5

I'd just plan to replace hoses, but can't figure out if they are custom formed or if I can just buy fuel hose "by-the-foot" to replace them. Doubting that since they must have the quick connect termination on the other (fuel filter) end. Maybe I can buy generic hose with one side terminated? Also have not been able to find the exact replacement PN for the hoses in any ford parts websites/diagrams.

So would appreciate any guidance on that specifically.
gcaiola is offline   Reply With Quote