• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for some insight

orchardinc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here's the situation.

My father has a 1995 ranger 4.0 automatic 2wd. The other day, out of the blue, it wouldn't start. The truck has run great since he bought it several years ago.

We did some research. The fuel pump was found to run non stop with the key turned to the on position. Truck would turn over but not fire. Changed the coil pack, the relays, checked the fuses, changed the crankshaft sensor, the fuel pump, fuel filter, still no luck. Checked the inertia switch on the pass side fire wall. All of this appears to check out. The only thing we haven't changed out yet is the cam shaft sensor.

We pulled the computer and noticed it was a remanufactured unit. Called NAPA to get a replacement. Gave them the VIN and numbers on the ECU we pulled out of the truck. NAPA calls my father today and tells him that their computer company will not flash us a new unit since the numbers we gave them trace back to a standard transmission truck!

We are about our wits end with this thing. We're basically dead in the water right now. We can change out the cam shaft sensor but that seems like a touchy job since we have read that once we get to the sensor, its just not a unplug/plug deal. Several factors have to be right in order for the thing to work. We tinker with vehicles and have built some nice rides over the years but we do not have fancy testing equipment and with all of the possibilities these newer vehicles pose when problems arise, its making it impossible for a good old boy to do anything.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to do about the computer, any response would be appreciated. Also, NAPA apparently contacted our local ford garage, and they wont flash a computer either for that old of a truck. they don't even have the records for what the number on the computer is supposed to be for my dads truck.

Thanks

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ecmtogo.com they were in Houston TX, haven't looked for them in awhile, may still be there. They will reflash/rebuild/test it 4 u.
Or you may want to call ford with ur VIN, get your box code, and find one on car-part.com

And testing might be a better route than guessing- that gets expensive!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I find the computer to be very unlikely.

Also, you don't generally reflash computers that old. Most places won't even have the right equipment. Not that I have ever seen a software issue cause a sudden no start.

Now, since you are a "good old boy", lets go back to basics. Do you have:

1) Spark

2) Fuel

3) Air

I assume the engine spins but just won't catch.

orchardinc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You guys will have to excuse me with a few things. I'm acting like a middleman with this since I'm the one with internet access. My dad just agreed to let us get him a cell phone a couple months ago, so I'm trying to help him out.

Unfortunately, when it comes to these technical matters he has more knowledge with me so there's a chance I'm missing some things he may have done or looked into already. He's not here telling me what to type.

We may have jumped the gun a bit on the computer but you'll start thinking anything when you're racking your brain on this stuff.

He was able to determine that the injectors are not getting power. With the new pcm relay, we're thinking now, its somewhere between the relay and computer.

Again, I apologize for providing bits of information. I appreciate the help thus far.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Still could be the cam sensor.

orchardinc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got a camshaft sensor. After taking off the upper intake we can see that the old one is slightly different, Philips head screws, different angle of the plug. Is it possible to just take the old cam sensor off and install the new one? Does the entire unit, shaft and all have to come out?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals