• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Something I noticed about my Ranger

Scy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is the first truck I have owned in 25 years or so of driving and am starting to appreciate the many advantages and dis advantages of owning a pickup. So far the good stuff is out weighing the bad.

One thing I've noticed though is the attitude I get from other pickup owners. That is, those with other makes like Toyota and Chevy. It's nothing real blatant but I seem to get a lot of smirks and sideways looks from other pick up drivers. And we have a lot where I live.
My truck isn't flashy or anything, just a plain vanilla Ranger. In pretty good shape too.

I never noticed that sort of attitude when I drove a car so it struck me as odd behavior. I guess I'll get used to it. LOL

It just seems a lot pickup truck owners are fanboi types. Hell, I just bought it to haul my bike.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's an age thing...younger folks are more brand-aware, fanatical and brand loyal. Us old pharts don't give a damn as long as it runs and works every day, for the right price. What I like is the "if I ignore you, you don't exist and I didn't do anything stupid" look that I see when some young dumb-a** who is busy texting, sexting, yakking, or Ipodding with earbuds suddenly realizes they are about to get run over or hit because they didn't pay attention...sometimes wish I was still driving an old 79 F250 with a snow plow on the front.

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just smile and flip em the bird when they look at you like that. :)

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
;missingteeth;
..sometimes wish I was still driving an old 79 F250 with a snow plow on the front.
LOL.....I had this big nasty ugly decrepid worn-out rattling busted-muffler truck one time that ran great.....every time one of those idiots pulled across my path/into my lane from a side street/poking along like they own the Earth/whatever..... :annoyed:

I would floor it and put a BIG grin on my face.....

A nice set of big-as-I-could-fit airhorns on my Harley got similar results!

You talk about idiots getting out of my way in a hurry!!!

:yahoo:

which reminds me....I just worn out the air compressor on my '36 airhorns last night---time to get me a new Christmas present ;missingteeth; !!!!!!

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I never get any of that. I have had Chevy, Dodge and Toyota, Jeep owners wave at me or pull in traffic and say 'Nice ride!!" Never had anyone flip me off or say 'Crappy truck'. I trail ride with all makes and everyone gets along great. I think some people have nothing better to do then to hate once in awhile and that just really stupid of them.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I don't usually care...but am sometime tempted to ask "so, how much a month does that cost your Dad?" or something similar...

But I don't...I'm happy when it gets me from A to B without blowing something or making more noise than my radio...:)

frdtrknut

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Some people of lower order get their jollies by trying to intimidate others. I usually give them a big smile and a thumbs up. They are totally perplexed and just drive away. Actually young Toyota drivers, note lower order, around here are the worst. I was born in the USA and so was my truck. And proud of it.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I've noticed, in Colorado, a beater truck is utilitarian, here in Seattle, people are more stuck up.

I've owned nice cars, from Audi a6's/a4's, to VW jettas, and a few high hp rice burners, all I can say is, I love my $250 buck ranger more then I loved pretty much anything besides my r32 swapped mkiv Jetta, I feel like I can trust it.

That being said, regardless of age/race/sex/gender, I've noticed the poorer the person is or has been, the less judgmental they seem to be, and I think the issue boils down to the large class division in our country.

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
I don't usually care...but am sometime tempted to ask "so, how much a month does that cost your Dad?" or something similar...

But I don't...I'm happy when it gets me from A to B without blowing something or making more noise than my radio...:)
Haha x2. I remember hearing kids on the phone to their parents.."I need $150 for a new battery I left my light on last night"

If you wan to turn heads drive around on a clapped-out fighter. The Hog guys don't like that you're Japanese and 4cyl, the Sportbikes don't like you because you've tossed the fenders :):icon_hornsup:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That being said, regardless of age/race/sex/gender, I've noticed the poorer the person is or has been, the less judgmental they seem to be, and I think the issue boils down to the large class division in our country.
There is a guy around here with an old mid 60's Chevy truck, it looks the part of having 300k miles on it (for a '60's vehicle that ain't good) It is all he has got, I usually wave at him to be nice.

He will not wave back at me unless I am driving my dad's '70 Dodge D20. It is the same color as his started out but in much better shape, but no wavie in either my '02 F-150 or '85 Ranger. :icon_rofl:

The only other truck guys that really give me a hard time is the diesel crowd when I am in my Ranger. It is kind of flashy and of course is a wimpy little truck so they must get some kind of thrill out of picking on it.

It is fairly spry but not chipped turbodiesel spry so I just let them have their fun.

My F-150 has kind of a haggard look to it most of the time. Stock rims, stock sized MT's, bed full of stuff, CB antennea and a gravel dust coating from stem to stern. They just leave it alone. :D

I have noticed my mother's Explorer gets picked on quite a bit more than a pickup too, don't know if they think it is a lady driving it or what. Noticed that when I had my Eclipse as well. Trucks, SUV's and even minivans (whoo hoo) regularly tailgate and show off around them.

And yes, when I can tell it is usually a guy under 30 driving.

90longbed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I sometimes get comments about my ranger.... usually by some douchebag walking.... I say "beats walking" or "gets me from A to B"........ you should see some of the looks I get driving this

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Nobody really pays any attention to my Bronco 2, I got more compliments and questions about my 99 Dodge Ram. The Bronco 2 and Ranger are so plain nobody pays attention to them.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
All I can say is all the looks I get are merited, someone stole the bed off my 90 ranger last week when I swapped my fuel pump, and it looks like poo, and I'm too poor to replace it. I think more people more just think I'm white trash cause half my truck is missing.

On a side note, if anyone in Seattle knows of an older gentleman, who has a early 20's Hispanic comrade? The were driving a 1st Gen, grey with red center paint, and now a light blue or sprayed bed? Those are the aholes who stole it. Good old security camera footage is grainy, but when speed up, looks like a horrid neo-laurel and hardy

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I sometimes get comments about my ranger.... usually by some douchebag walking.... I say "beats walking" or "gets me from A to B"........ you should see some of the looks I get driving this

makes me miss my 74 k5. Dad bought it new from factory, taught me to wheel in it.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I don't usually care...but am sometime tempted to ask "so, how much a month does that cost your Mommy?" or something similar...

fixed it for 'ya

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals