• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Bronco with steering and hub issues

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Hello Campers!.

As some know we recently picked up a 1994 Bronco full sized with a 5.8V8 (351w).

Been finding out just how much the last owner didn't know about how to maintain things.

Anywho... Recent problem might be of interest. It came with WARN hubs. The last owner was proud of his job at front brakes. And he replaced the rotors as well ditched the auto hubs for the WARN hubs.

So we've had an issue where the truck will tend to pull itself in odd directions. While doing a right hand turn, when the wheel returns left/center... The wheel will suddenly JERK hard left! and pull that way for a few seconds. It also does this a bit when doing a left turn, but not as bad. (Left turn, recovers from turn....will kick slightly right...)

It was suggested, sense all the suspension is tight (big shock on that one!) It might have a wheel bearing or hub issue. At first I discounted the hub, as both hubs are unlocked at this time. And I redid the front calipers and double checked wheel bearings- Nice and tight, no issues a month ago?... Fast forward and the issue has gotten worse.

So after doing a family 'function' (private viewing for a funeral...) I decide to relax by tearing into the front end. Left front wheel bearing checked okay, hub is okay. The right one? Hub won't lock now. Wheel bearings are noticeably loose now. And if I turn the axle shaft- I hear a scrap sound from the hub.

That's not a new brand of "Shineola" grease... Aluminum metal flake all over everything!

That's what's left of things. Still haven't found the rest of that brass colored semi circle thing. Likely it's mashed up in the bearings. Also the clip that was supposed to hold the shaft- It was in there, but wasn't attached to the shaft. Just sitting there.

Pretty depressing. Hadn't expected to need all new wheel bearings and a new set of locking hubs. (limited budget). I'm heading to the U Pull and seeing if I can nip up a locking hub (either MileMarker or WARN). That and about a case of brake cleaner, new bearings...etc... The drivers side seems fine. But it looks like the last owner didn't correctly install the locking hub, and it pretty well started to disintegrate. Wish I could go with 'new' parts, but the parts are to expensive. (bearings will be new- But the hubs are about 65 and up for new. I can barely afford the bearings at this point....) I'm already expecting the drivers side to do the same thing, so it's getting new bearings as well--and I'll examine the parts sense at least that side seems to be working.

Side note: The part that is bent in several different directions. That is exactly how it was pulled out of the hub. With a pocket screwdriver. It was sitting in the back against the large nut for the wheel bearing looking just like that.

Anyone off hand know if there should be a spring retainer just in front of the big nut for the wheel bearings? I read up on this and it states to remove all the stuff and put in the 'install kit'. (Which was done....) But I'm not sure if the spring retaining plate was supposed to be in there or not... Then again, this came out like a big handful of scrap..

Any feedback would be helpful.

S-

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals