• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual transmission not engaging 93 ranger 4.0

geacguys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1993 Ford Ranger 5 speed manual
Clutch engages and disengages correctly.
With vehicle stopped, I put it in 1st, let out on clutch there is only a grinding noise from the transmission. I can push in the clutch and enter every gear and upon clutch release I get the same noise with reverse and 4th being the quietest. Continue pressing clutch and putting in 1st and eventually it will engage first gear and drive like nothing happened. Every once in a while it will engage momentarily and then pop back out with a nice “knock” noise. Start the clutch/shift procedure again and eventually it engages completely and the world is a beautiful place again. Any ideas?
I have eliminated the clutch as it is all brand new and as I said once it engages there is no grinding going into gears.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

I assume 2WD not 4x4?

Most likely issue would be input gear, but you should still have 4th gear
input gear drives 1, 2, 3, 5, R, 4th is direct drive

But in any case from your description the M5OD-R1(M5R1) transmission needs to come out to diagnose actual problem.

If you look for a replacement it needs to be M5R1 from a 4.0l engine, 1990 to 2012, only 4.0l engine, and 2WD if thats what you have

geacguys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
More info

It is 4x4. I played with it for about an hour last night trying to get more specific scenarios. I found if I coast to a turn or stop with it in gear and clutch depressed it would pop out of gear, the shifter doesn’t move but something internal seems to slide out of place. When it does not want to go I do not have any Drive engagement in any gear, not even 4th. I did do a fluid change a couple months ago and used a universal atf that NAPA said would substitute readily for Marc fluid. I don’t know if the issue was there prior to that as the truck wasn’t road worthy at that point. But it sounds like it’s rebuild/replace time and I appreciate the response.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals