• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Changing Transmission Oil Cooler

WVRangerLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
2009 Ranger 4x4 4L

My son had an accident and the Transmission Oil Cooler was broken at output port. So I changed it out and started adding transmission fluid to make up for what was lost when coasting it home. The fluid leaked all the way home so I assume that I didn't lose everything, however, when I checked the fluid level, no fluid registered on the stick.

Therefore, I started adding fluid thinking I needed to add the full amount or maybe 5 or 6 quarts. However, after three quarts (maybe 4), the fluid started coming out of the 'tube' (where the stick is housed) and on the back of the transmission on the drivers side.

I haven't moved my Ranger yet. But, I am leaving it overnight.

So my question are:
1. If I overfill the fluid, can the excess fluid come out of the transmission vents?
2. Is the transmission vents where I describe on the driver's side, back of the transmission?
3. How many quarts would be expected to be lost?
4. If I drain from the transmission oil cooler, how many quarts could I expect to drain from here or how many quarts could be expected to be needed to refill?

Thanks.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Transmission fluid level needs to be checked with the engine running and warm, and transmission in park. Overfilling is just as dangerous as underfilling.

There's no way we can to tell how much you lost or how much you over filled. If the fluid is currently above the cross hatches on the dip stick you need to remove some until it is inbetween the two dots. If its below the dots, add half a quart at a time until its correct. Always make adjustments by no more than half a quart at a time.

On the 5r55e ( your transmission model ) the vent cap is at the rear, on top. Pretty damn difficult to fill the transmission with enough fluid to come out of the vent. (Total capacity is 10.1 quarts, it would probably take 15 quarts to fill it to the vent) Check that there isn't more damage than just the broken cooler line up front.

Last edited:

WVRangerLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My son's accident was a low speed one in stop and go traffic. The front tow hooks were bent back (and the front shield cracked). No hood damage or lights blown out. Air bags weren't deployed. It would be surprising that the accident caused damage to where the fluid was seeping out.

So, I will let it sit tonight and then drain all that I can from the transmission cooler input line. I should be able to start the vehicle and let it idle to warm it up and check the level again.

Is there a link to a diagram that could pinpoint where the vents are located just so I can try to match up with what I see?

Thanks for the help.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
There is only one vent

Circled in red, sometimes they just have a cap, sometimes a rubber line is attached.

Attachments

WVRangerLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The one thing I forget to add was that the Ranger's front was on jack stands, meaning that the fluid was pooling at the back with the tilt and all.

Knock on wood that was the reason. I will try later today to rectify it.

Thanks for the help.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
In that case, if it really didn't lose much and you added 4 quarts I could see that being the issue. I hope it is. Like I said, remember running overfilled is very very bad! It causes the fluid to turn to foam inside the transmission and can quickly cause a loss of pressure and in a worst case scenario cause an overheating issue. Transmission fluid is hydraulic fluid and with any hydraulic system, air (foam) is BAD.

WVRangerLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Dirtman on all of your help on this.

Update: I was able to siphon about 2-3 quarts from the transmission to where, on level ground, the level was in the middle of the crosshatch WHEN THE MOTOR and oil WAS COLD. I was not able to siphon anymore off at this level. I tried a small 1/8 tube but it wasn't able to keep a vacuum. In the reservoir in seemed like there wasn't anything left.

I let the engine idle for 15 minutes and the dipstick didn't register which seemed as odd, but, it did have to fill the lines to and from the transmission oil cooler and the cooler itself. I ran the truck for 5 miles and it still didn't register.

I have let the engine cool for two hours and checked again. The oil was below the dipstick's bottom hole - it at least registered something. Therefore, I just added an half quart and am waiting for the tube to drain into the reservoir and I will check again in a couple of hours.

with the capacity of 10.5 quarts, I am totally confused to where all of this oil is. I can see if there are pockets of fluid in the transmission (secondary reservoirs?) that will contain the majority of the fluid. But, I don't know.

Maybe I am being too cautious but, I don't feel like putting 3 or 4 grand in for a new transmission.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You should only adjust the fluid level based on reading the dipstick when the engine is warm and running. Cold reading, or reading with the engine off is not accurate. If you check it with the engine off the level will drop drastically when you start the engine as the fluid is now being pumped all over the trans. And the fluid expands so reading cold is also not accurate. As for your other question, most of the fluid is inside the torque converter. The drain pan only holds about 4 quarts.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals