• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission question

sdasher1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
so, im in a spot here, i have a quoted price of 750 to redo the transmission(clutch, pressure plate bearing and slave cylinder.) and what not, my question is, is it going to be something other than the throw out bearing. issues are,

1. when i put the truck in reverse hear a wierd noise that sounds like a loud rattle kinda like a couple pennies in a coffee can as you swirl the can around.

2. The truck after a period of driving its hard to shift into gear, esp. after highway driving. the car is really hard to go into first from neutral.

3. Sometimes as i'm shifting through gears the trucks makes like a whining or whirring noise, and the gears rake sometimes as well.

does that sound like that is could be a clutch throwout bearing issue or could it be with the internal gearing it self?

any help would be appreciated thanks!.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Could the clutch replacement fix your issues?... Yes, I think it could.

Could it be something other then a clutch replacement?... Yes, I think it's possible.

Here is why I say this. I bought my 94 with parts in a basket for less then the new tires that were on it. Guy realized he was in over his head part way through a clutch job. He said it was slipping along was hard shifting. I put a clutch in it. The clutch now works fine... The hard shifting into gear still exists. My diagnosis now is that the blocker rings and/or syncro assemblies are just worn out. I have however learned how to drive it to the tune of 35k and it's still hard to shift today.

If your current clutch won't fully disengage the engine and transmission.. it would explain at least part of your described symptoms.

Has the clutch ever slipped or chattered?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
make sure it has fluid and the correct type. most people never check. but these transmissions all seem hard to shift, We swapped a low mileage one into my truck about 4 months ago. only 62 K on it. it's ok most of the time..sometimes (seems like when cold) it's hard to get in and out of 1 & 2.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'd ask how many miles are on the truck, just out of curiosity, obviously low mileage transmissions are going to be less prone to wear and failure.

Most of that sounds like clutch hydraulic system and throwout bearing noise to me. You could change the transmission oil and see if it's got any chunks of metal in it. Dirty is kinda normal, chunky is not. Pretty easy to do that yourself, just plan ahead and get a few quarts of ATF and a jug pump to fill the trans.

I'd probably go ahead with the clutch job if the trans oil looks good.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the pilot bearing is high on the suspect list too. they don't cost much, be certain to replace it.

sdasher1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
It has 144,000 roughly, maybe to help diagnose further... I pumped the clutch a few times seems to get better temporarily then after a few mins goes back to the way it was ive.only had the truck maybe 4 months

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
As far as I'm concerned the Mazda transmissions in our trucks can easily see 300k+ miles with good maintenance, 144k is nothing. I say change the fluid, and put a clutch in it.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
It has 144,000 roughly, maybe to help diagnose further... I pumped the clutch a few times seems to get better temporarily then after a few mins goes back to the way it was ive.only had the truck maybe 4 months
Did you check the clutch master cylinder reservoir level?

Last edited:

07nhbpsi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Given this bit of info, sounds like a issue with slave cyl. Make sure u replace that when doing clutch.....known issues with them, and don’t even screw around with anything but the Motorcraft replacement........:icon_thumby: I bought my 2010 Ranger used with 78k didn’t take long for me to figure out why it was traded in.....Thankfully it was a certified used through ford... dealership replaced everything when they went into it:icon_hornsup:

sdasher1982

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
update!

so my truck is in the shop, mechanic said that he thinks the synchronizers could be going out in it and possibly could need a new transmission, he said that its popping out of second gear. He said that he would be putting it on the lift tomorrow and drain the fluid. he said that there is a way to look inside to see If the forks are damaged. looks like my 750.00 job is going to be a lot more:icon_surprised:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals