• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD to M5OD swap?

SkyRaider98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello! I'm pretty new here, so I hope I'm posting in the correct thread.

TLDR: A4ld went out, want to find a M5OD to swap in. Skip to the "CONCLUSION" if you don't want the full story.

I was given a 1990 Bronco II by my Grandpa, it's sort of been a family vehicle for a long time.
I drove it for about 2 hours after it was given to me, and then the A4LD started slipping worse and worse, leaving me to conclude that it had finally given up the ghost.
It's not surprising that it went out, the truck has 267k on it and the trans was rebuilt probably over 50k ago.

in CONCLUSION:
I want to get a cheap Ranger or Explorer with a working m5od to swap in, but I need to know the following:

What years/models can I get that will work?

What parts will I need to fab the clutch pedal in?

And also how do I swap the trans out? Lol I've never dropped or swapped a trans before :D

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2WD or 4x4?

You should have a 2.9l V6 engine correct?

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) doesn't have a detachable bell housing so each M5R1 made was engine specific.
Also 2WD or 4x4 specific

But the 2.9l and 4.0l engines used the same block, so an M5R1 from a 4.0l engine will fit your 2.9l engine.

If 2WD then you need an M5R1 from a 2WD 4.0l vehicle, 1997 or earlier so it still has the speedometer cable hook up.

If 4x4 then M5R1 from 4x4 4.0l 1990 to 2012, your transfer case will bolt up to it and your transfer case has the speedometer cable

You will need a custom drive shaft, or shafts if 4x4, as the M5R1 is a different length than the A4LD.

In my opinion you will have a better vehicle by "correctly" rebuilding the A4LD, NOT just a soft parts rebuild
It was a good transmission and used in Rangers until 2012, Ford just added more solenoids in 1995

Good read here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml
When having an A4LD rebuilt, there are a couple of things that you need to make sure of. First and foremost, do not let a shop do a soft parts fix only (clutches, servos, and bands). This will almost ensure that you will have another repair needed right after the 1-year warranty is out. Other things you want to have replaced are: forward one-way clutch (always), overdrive drum (stamped tin, replace if out of round or heat damaged), pump (Ford only, rebuilds are prone to failure), and the converter (get the better converter with the improved lock-up clutch and brazed fins).

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size

SkyRaider98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
RE: RonD

Welcome to TRS :)

2WD or 4x4?

You should have a 2.9l V6 engine correct?

The M5OD-R1(M5R1) doesn't have a detachable bell housing so each M5R1 made was engine specific.
Also 2WD or 4x4 specific

But the 2.9l and 4.0l engines used the same block, so an M5R1 from a 4.0l engine will fit your 2.9l engine.

If 2WD then you need an M5R1 from a 2WD 4.0l vehicle, 1997 or earlier so it still has the speedometer cable hook up.

If 4x4 then M5R1 from 4x4 4.0l 1990 to 2012, your transfer case will bolt up to it and your transfer case has the speedometer cable

You will need a custom drive shaft, or shafts if 4x4, as the M5R1 is a different length than the A4LD.

In my opinion you will have a better vehicle by "correctly" rebuilding the A4LD, NOT just a soft parts rebuild
It was a good transmission and used in Rangers until 2012, Ford just added more solenoids in 1995

Good read here: https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml
Thank you for responding!

Sorry for not giving more info before.
It is a 2.9L, and 4x4.
As of right now I am planning on going ahead with the 5 speed swap, both as a driving preference and for slightly better mileage. I also want to swap it from the existing push-button 4x4 system to a manual transfer case and hubs.
After reading the page you linked, I do think better of the a4ld, I had more or less dismissed it as a pile of junk before lol.

SkyRaider98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
RE: Denisefwd93

You don't know how? that's skill level of about 7 on a scale of 10 AND It's hard work! something well worth doing if you plan to keep that ole Bronco, assuming it's not turning into rust by now.
Do study all the how to section. this is well covered here only thing different is you are going for the M5OD instead of the FM146. https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to/transmission-transfer-case-driveshaft/a4ld-to-f146-mitsubishi-5-speed-swap/
I should say I have never done it before, but I get the basic concept of it. It will be quite the project though, at least for me it will be. It may be a while before I get to tear into it.
I do plan on keeping it, it's kind of been a family vehicle for a long time. And it's recently had a bunch of body work done (Fixing rust holes) and a fresh coat of the original "Wimbledon White" paint, so overall it's in good shape.

I'll be sure to check out the "how to" section you linked, thanks for the help!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I was going to do it (with help) to the 93 automatic long bed Ranger I had.

Gathered up all the parts even have a PCM for a manual truck. But I decided to sell it instead and I got a truck that was already manual but had a bad transmission. it was still very hard work for an old broad and old guy but it was easier then doing it to an automatic truck

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
-Just get a m50d from a 4wd 2.9 or a 4.0l
-The clutch pedal and brake pedal (mounting bracket is the same, just slid the pin out)
-Get the floor plate with the manual hole cut out (or cut a hole in yours, but it justcbolts in)
-you can either swap columns, or what I prefer, is knock out the roll pin that holds the auto shifter, and put the manual column covers on it. This keeps you from needing the stupid key release button.
-get the clutch master/line/slave
And a shift boot.
Then you just splice the nuetral switch plug, and the reverse light plug.the nuetral plug isn’t a big deal, unless you have an electric tcase.

Your driveshafts will be the same, transfercase the same, and you can use your computer. Using your computer, is much easier than finding a BroncoII computer. The only side effect is, if you pull the codes, you might get a shift solenoid code, but it won’t illuminate a check engine light or anything.

And just an FYI, all Bronco II’s ALL use 4wd transmissions. The 2wd’s use a “dummy” transfer case, that just doesn’t have anything in it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And just an FYI, all Bronco II’s ALL use 4wd transmissions. The 2wd’s use a “dummy” transfer case, that just doesn’t have anything in it.
There are a few, right at the very end, that didn't have the dummy t-case, but a true 2wd trans.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
There are a few, right at the very end, that didn't have the dummy t-case, but a true 2wd trans.
Just adding to this...
The 2wd BII's had a flanged output on the transmission and the slipjoint was in the driveshaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals